How much room for a radiator?

JasonMiller94SC

I'm tired of messing around with the stock type radiator and I can't afford to pay $500 for a good aftermarket one that will fit our cars. What I want to do is drop in a universal radiator from summit. I've found a few that I think will work but they are 22" wide by 19" high. Does anyone know if a 22" wide radiator will fit? I have a double IC in the car but have removed the AC. I tried to measure the space but with the radiator in the car it's hard to tell. Anyone have the radiator out of their car and can measure if it would fit or not? The two that I'm look at are:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?CP=1&part=SUM-380424&N=700%200&Ntt=SUM~380424%20or%20GRI~1~26182~X&Ntk=&rsview=sku&Ns=P_Rank|0

And

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?CP=1&part=SUM-380424&N=700%200&Ntt=SUM~380424%20or%20GRI~1~26182~X&Ntk=&rsview=sku&Ns=P_Rank|0

People like myself doing a big block 460 swap have had good luck with any radiator designed for a fox body mustang ...Btw those radiators dont have a transmission cooler just so you know incase you have an automatic transmission youd have to go aftermarket on one....

People like myself doing a big block 460 swap have had good luck with any radiator designed for a fox body mustang ...Btw those radiators dont have a transmission cooler just so you know incase you have an automatic transmission youd have to go aftermarket on one....

I do have an automatic but I've already bypassed the stock cooler and installed an aftermarket one.

How did you mount your new radiator? I saw that summit sells a mounting kit.

The ones you listed should fit cause the stock rad measures 20X20 so you should be good with the height and the width we can just slide it over since the air is removed we have won't have the ac lines in the way.

Jay

Yea I knew the stock one was about 20x20 but this one is 22" wide and I knew I had at least another inch with the AC gone but wasn't sure if I had 2 inches extra or not. Would hate to order it an have it not fit.

Yea I knew the stock one was about 20x20 but this one is 22" wide and I knew I had at least another inch with the AC gone but wasn't sure if I had 2 inches extra or not. Would hate to order it an have it not fit.

u gotta post some pics and let us know how the install goes. im also looking at doing this. great find by the way.

I plan on replacing my stock radiator with a generic one ( 22x19x3 ) also but since I'm going the fmic route with the inlets on one side I'll have plenty of room, I found a nice aluminum version on ebay for $181 shipped that I'm considering.

No worky

I just installed a Summit Racing Aluminum Rad 23x19x2. It definatley would not fit with the stock or a double IC.

Jason check these part #'s out at summitracing.com .

GRI-1-26182-X its 22X19 so it an inch narrower

GRI-2-25135-X its 17X18.5 which will give you even more clearence to you're i/c than the stock rad and should cool better being it's a 2-row alum rad.

Jay

With the 22" rad you're about an inch short of clearing the IC. The body gets in teh way down by the air filter box which won't allow the rad to be slid over enough.

Jason check these part #'s out at summitracing.com .

GRI-1-26182-X its 22X19 so it an inch narrower

GRI-2-25135-X its 17X18.5 which will give you even more clearence to you're i/c than the stock rad and should cool better being it's a 2-row alum rad.

Jay

Jay, I was looking at the the 22x19 but I guess that's not gonna fit.

The 17x18.5 you found might fit but the inlet and outlet are on the wrong sides. I'll find something to work.

Jason,
Here's a couple of pics of the 23x19 sitting in place before I mounted it. I think you can see how little room there is. If you shove it all the way to the passenger side, you MIGHT be able to squeeze the IC in place, but I doubt it.
The RAD kicks major a$$, by the way. Haven't been able to get it past 180-190 degrees, no matter how hard I push the car. Highly recommend this type of RAD if you can figure out how to fit it.

Daspanka

Attachments

• radfront.jpg
    radfront.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 158
  • radside.jpg
    radside.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 166
Jason if you want to use the rad Jay posted the small one. You could get the flex hose summit sells and re-route it. The top one you could cut the thermostat housing pipe and route the flex hose the other way.

I think they had one with the inlets and outlets reversed from the p# I listed. I'll have to look.If you end up getting one we can fab the brackets and everything up on my car since everythings apart and once we have it all fabbed we'll throw it into you're car.

Jay

just linking to an appropriate thread for reference

http://kmjperformance.com/northern-...or-and-fan-shroud-kit-ford-mopar-19-x-22.html

http://kmjperformance.com/northern-...-ford-mopar-universal-fit-w-a-t-brackets.html

number one...the prices are better on ebay.

number two...the brackets are not going to work I assume

the question i am posing is will either of these work in stock location with correct brackets....i would think so with the 19 inch width, but i am asking because i still have a stock intercooler.

also do you think that there would be an improvement over the stock radiator...its not a griffin, but when i look at their universal cores as Tim Groth suggested I cant seem to find anything that would appear to fit, as it has been stated that 22" is going to be too large with a stock intercooler in place unless I read that wrong.

the second option has more appeal, with the built in a/t cooler.

Back