engine stumble woes

mrbrasky

Engine stumble continues (4 months and counting) on my 90 SC, 5sp. Tach changes appear consistent with engine (i.e., doesn't freak out). Car will stumble cold or warm, rpm low or high.

This problem started after local shop replaced water pump. I resealed inner cooler tubes with RTV but stumble continues.

Following parts are new (after stumble began):
DIS (old tested bad) with new heat sink compound
Crank sensor
Cam Sensor
Harmonic balancer & pulley
Timing chain & sprockets
spark plugs (Autolite APP764) & wires (Motorcraft)
Coil pack (Motorcraft)

Pulled codes are 67 (Neutral drive switch open. A/C input high )
& 19 (CID sensor input failed). So I installed another new cam sensor yet problem continues. Still get codes 67 & 19.

Question
1)What else could codes indicate? (vacuum leak on inner cooler tubes? Should I try to reseal tubes again? It was a first time evolution for me).

2) Any other thoughts or ideas?

thanks
Bill

Sweet!!!! I got my car back from the shop after wasting 900 bucks!. And my powerseatbelt didn't work, They told me they were not respomsible for the problem.:rolleyes:

I believe "CID sensor input failed" is talking about the crank sensor not the cam sensor.

David

David in my book CID - cylinder identification signal- a frequency type signal coming from a camshaft mounted sensor- the ECA uses this signal to reference fuel injector operation and synchronize spark plug firing on distributorless ignitions. However my book also says Code 19 can be Failure in Electronic Control Assembly- problems with internal voltage regulator.

Charles

cam sensor unplugged

David in my book CID - cylinder identification signal- a frequency type signal coming from a camshaft mounted sensor-

Yes, I concur. Ford shop manual section 23-04-2 explains the cam sensor provides the CID.

More clues to my situation:
I unplugged the cam sensor and after some difficulty starting, it ran flawlessly (including 10-15 idle and 10-15 test drive). Plug the cam sensor back in and the stumble returns. I understand from research of other posts this indicates a faulty cam sensor. This is difficult to understand given it is the second new one from AutoZone (Wells, P/N F134 i think). Has anyone else had difficulty with Wells?

I have had camshaft sensor trouble as well, turned out to be harness trouble, even though it was on tight.

I have had camshaft sensor trouble as well, turned out to be harness trouble, even though it was on tight.

Very interesting. How did you fix this? I'm thinking more all the time I have a similar issue.

This is the next thing to look at. Unplug/clean/apply some dielectric grease (reduces corrosion from moisture) reconnect everything. Check that all wires are connected. Then when all that doesn't fix anything.... try another cam sensor. :cool:

I've had a brand new cam sensor go bad with less than 1000 miles on it. :( I swapped it from the red car to the white car and sure enough... it was bad. Replaced it with the original (old used) and everything worked great. Having multiple supercoupes has its advantages. ;) :D

My cam sensor was unplugged for a year while the car was on blocks, so unplugging & plugging it back in a bunch must have cleaned the barnicles off.
It seemed to gimp at random, it would start stumbleing real bad, then my tach died, 2 min later stumbleing stops, 3 more min later tach comes back.

update and thanks

Just wanted to give an update and say thanks for all the input

Running fine for a week (400 miles) without a stumble. Cleaned all ignition associated connectors I could access with Freon tf and disconnected and cleaned negative battery terminal. Stumbled just a couple of times after this but then nothing now for 7 days. Not ready to claim victory. Still think I have an issue with the connection between the cam sensor and ignition module. Still, it's been great to have a smooth run. Almost forgot what that felt like.

Back