Can a VSS be installed on a 99+ V6 Mustang 4R70W

Boss_232

Can a VSS be installed on a 99+ 4R70W by changing out the tailshaft housing?

And will a Mustang V6 4R70W be a direct bolt-in on a Tbird SC? I've read that the 98+ Mustang V6 4R70W's were the strongest (almost as stong as in the 4.6L GT and that the SC 4R70W had similar internals). A 98 4R70W would be perfect, but I do have a tailshaft housing in the SC already that I'm hoping I'd be able to swap onto the 99+ for use with the VSS.

My son's 94 auto SC needs a new tranny and I'm wanting to broaden my search for replacements as far and wide as possible.:

the v6 mustang 4r70w might not be strong enough.

a 4r70w is a 4r70w size wise. I just don't know how strong it is.

Not sure about the vehicle speed sensor.

The Mustang 4r70w will work just fine with some minor wiring changes. As for strength and it's ability to hold up, I have been running an 03' Mustang 4R70W in my mid 12 second car without any issue whatsoever and have put 20,000 miles on mine as it is my daily driver. I believe you will find it to be more durable than the stock trans. The tailshaft housing are the same on all 4R70W's and you would only need to worry about changing the shaft if it was a mid to late 03 or newer. My 03 had teeth machined in the output shaft and I used a DMP speedcal to correct the speedo for my 4.10 gears.

Charles

Last edited:
The Mustang 4r70w will work just fine with some minor wiring changes. As for strength and it's ability to hold up, I have been running an 03' Mustang 4R70W in my mid 12 second car without any issue whatsoever and have put 20,000 miles on mine as it is my daily driver. I believe you will find it to be more durable than the stock trans.

Charles

not to mention that you beat the hell out of it all 20k miles.:)
hows it running nowadays Charles?

Thanks 83gt460!

Based on this info, I'm going to go ahead and get that '02 with 47k miles for $250 from a Mustang V6er who is doing a T5 swap.:D

The Mustang 4r70w will work just fine with some minor wiring changes. As for strength and it's ability to hold up, I have been running an 03' Mustang 4R70W in my mid 12 second car without any issue whatsoever and have put 20,000 miles on mine as it is my daily driver. I believe you will find it to be more durable than the stock trans. The tailshaft housing are the same on all 4R70W's and you would only need to worry about changing the shaft if it was a mid to late 03 or newer. My 03 had teeth machined in the output shaft and I used a DMP speedcal to correct the speedo for my 4.10 gears.

Charles

The later model stang transmissions are way stronger then even our SC version in 94-95 (which are god awful)

You need to be carefull at what year you get. The late late model ones will not allow use of your speedo..Just nto sure what year that began in

It WORKS!!!!

Okay guys, for all interested, the 2002 4R70W tranny works great! The newer tranny that doesn't utilize a speedo gear had a simple, plastic blockoff plug in the place where the VSS goes. I simply removed it and installed the SC's VSS in the space. It fit, it works, BUT...the speedometer is off by 10+mph. I suspect a gearing difference in the tranny or rear end (I've emailed the owner of the SC that I bought the car from to make sure that the gears in the diff hadn't been changed...haven't heard from him yet).

Also, I might need a new O/D switch cuz the O/D light on the dash keeps flashing. I had to transfer the O/D switch from the original SC tranny to the Mustang tranny cuz the connector shape was different. Maybe the SC's O/D switch was bad to begin with?

Sooooo... with a new speedo gear and O/D switch, I beleive I have found a very successful swap!!!!

If I'm not mistaken that OD switch light is flashing a trouble code..... it isn't the switch, it's just a simple momentary contact switch.

Did you repin the harness connector?

If I'm not mistaken that OD switch light is flashing a trouble code..... it isn't the switch, it's just a simple momentary contact switch.

Did you repin the harness connector?

No, I put the sensors from the SC tranny onto the Stang tranny. All sensors EXCEPT the one on the passender's side that points upward from near the pan, it's D-shaped. All the pins inside this connector, the shape, and size of the connector were identical so this was the only Stang sensor/connector that I used.

The VSS ( vehicle speed sensor ) is on the side of the transmission.
The OSS ( output shaft speed ) is on the Tailshaft.

The reason your speedo is off, is because the later model Mustang transmissions use an 8 tooth gear on the output shaft, versus the 7 tooth in the earlier ones. So the 17 tooth speedo gear yours came with stock needs to be replaced with a 20 tooth ( assuming you are still using 3.31 gears, anything higher than that and you would need to replace the output shaft with the 7 tooth version for an accurate speedo )

The difference between most V6 ( except the one that came in the SC ) and V8 4r70w ( obviously aside from the casing ) is that there is an extra plate for the direct clutch in the SC and V8 versions. So while some parts in the 02 trans are better / stronger, you're still missing the extra plate in the direct clutch.

- Dan

Simply put.

Your best choice is a 00-02 3.8 mustang transmission. It will have 8 speedometer drive teeth so you need to compensate that on the speedometer gear you use.
You will need the tcc solenoid from your existing transmission and either repin the conector for the new pins locations or rewire the transmission to the old wiring setup.
It will be 10 times stronger than your oem transmission.
Alan

Back