Balancer rattle...

spetz01

What I first thought was a clutch problem, turned out to be an easy fix. While the car was in gear and moving there was a rattle sound that seemed to come from that are...hard to tell when driving. I though this because it only rattled in gear...not at an idle. I got it home and opened the hood and it looked like the crank pulley was going to come off.

When I got under her this afternoon I found that only one of the four bolts was loose, and only needed 5 full turns to tighten it back up...no more wobble. I guess I must have missed that part of it when i did the crank sensor a while back....glad it was finally something easy.

Your lucky it was an easy fix....;) I had a knocking sound coming from my engine and upon inspection 2 of the crank pulley bolts were sheared off into the balancer. I tried pulling the balancer with a balancer puller but since the broken bolts were next to each other it wouldn't work. Then I tried a 3 jaw puller and it just stretched the rubber. I still have not figured out how im going to get it off.:mad:

Your lucky it was an easy fix....;) I had a knocking sound coming from my engine and upon inspection 2 of the crank pulley bolts were sheared off into the balancer. I tried pulling the balancer with a balancer puller but since the broken bolts were next to each other it wouldn't work. Then I tried a 3 jaw puller and it just stretched the rubber. I still have not figured out how im going to get it off.:mad:

drill new holes farther in and use a tap same size as the coarsest balancer bolts you got to get it off:)

I cannot remember the stock balancer.. but if the holes for the crank sensor vane go all the way through, like the BHJ unit, Maybe you could thread the bolts for the puller into them??

Attachments

• bhj-oem-balancers.jpg
    bhj-oem-balancers.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 43
Back