How does the rubber heater hose attach to the metal hose?

Jeremy_K

I noticed today that I have a coolant leak where the rubber heater hose attaches to the metal pipe (pass.side). Is it just crimped on there? Is there a way to replace that crimp with maybe a hose clamp?

The hose can be replaced if you take a die grinder with a cut off wheel and GENTLY cut off the aluminum crimp.You have to be careful not to nick the steel pipe. A new hose can then be installed using a conventional hose clamp.

Yep, the stock factory hose is crimped. When you get a replacement you can remove the crimp and add heater hose clamps so you can replace both sides of the rubber but not the metal part. I hate the smell of a antifreeze leak. Ok what he said ^

The hose can be replaced if you take a die grinder with a cut off wheel and GENTLY cut off the aluminum crimp.You have to be careful not to nick the steel pipe. A new hose can then be installed using a conventional hose clamp.
Is the pipe flared?

At least if you ever get lost in the snow up there the rescuers will just have to follow the oil slick to find you.;)

The pipe has a barbed look to it so the hose doesnt slip off. I replaced the rubber part of all my hoses this way 2 years ago and have had no problems. Be careful not to cut thru the steel pipe when removing the crimp I usually cut till I hit the rubber to near the end of the crimp [the end away from the hose] and use a screwdriver and pliers abd break off the rest of the crimp.

Back