need tires, any suggestions on type?

crazydave

I'm trying to keep my 95SC as stock looking as I can and it's time for tires. I have the original very clean 16" wheels on my SC and want a nice tire upgrade. I have a set of Pirelli 4000 super touring tires on it now and they are a little too worn. What tires are you guys using and having luck with? The damn car liquifies the Pirelli's off the line and they're noisey on the highway. I drag race it occassionaly and drive a ton of highway miles in between.
Thanks for your help

You want to look stock..That leads me to believe you want a stocksized tire...Go with the Kumhos..There great tires at a great price..In my opinion of course:O)

yokohama's

Had a set of Yokohama's p225/60/r16's on my car for about 8,000 miles before switching them to a project car. I inherited a set of p255/60/vr16 Eagle One's from a Corvette so now I run those, but I have to say for the price and to stay close to stock the yokohama's were awesome. kumho's are great tires too, the corvette i got the donor's from just got 17" zo6 rims with a set of kumho ectsa's, which are way nice.
------Dylan

might try the Pep Boy's futura's
235/55/16 for $279 for the set.

440 treadware A B

rated at 40 or 50K miles.

I had Eagle II's on my SC when I got it. I put 245-45-17 Kumho Ectsa's on it and I love them. Quiet on the road, sticky in the corners and at the track. A great ste of tires for the money!

Garmo, he said "Tire UPgrade"...

Not Tire "downgrade".

Currently I have 225/60SR-16 Pep Boy Futura's. For the money they are about the cheapest 225/16" tire you can get. But you WILL sacrifice performance. I was able to tell right away that the tread squirms compared to the stock Goodyears.

What kind of conditions do you drive in (mud, snow, rain, hot, dry).

I tend to live in the "multi-climate, climate" here in NYS. SO I'm seriously looking into the BF GoodRich G-force KDWS. Z rated, and has a "M+S" rating for when I get caught in a snow squall.

Can't comment on the performance though since I haven't gotten them yet. I can comment on the treadwear of the Pepboys, they are rated at 620 treadwear. I got them when the car had 35K on it and I now have 76K. I still got enough tread on them to last a few more months. They have been very slow wearing lasting me about 3 years.

tires

Remember that the deceptive "treadware rating" standards vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

I live on the rainy BC coast and have found that the BF goodrich have a tendency to spontaineously break loose with very little warning, especially in unfavourable weather conditions. On the flip side, I've heard of people being happy with them in different climates.

As far as quietness, the Yokahama decibels are extremely quiet (the quietest high performance tire on the market today) and they also hook up really well, especially in all season weather. I have yet to accidentally break mine loose yet.

As far as treadware, I have always been satisfied with Yokahama's tread life. I am an average SC driver (if such a thing existed :p ), I drive the car daily, being nice to it 95% of the time, and the other 5% of the time are some of the most exhilerating times of my life :lol

Stephan

PS:Good thinking on keeping the stock tire size.

Ditto on the Kumhos

Cheap, sticky, cheap, predictable, cheap, quiet, cheap, good life (so far)...Did I forget to mention that they are pretty reasonably priced?

Anthony

Back