What I saw at the track today..

KwikGSeX

If you leave your car in neutral on the trailer MAKE SURE you pull the ramps down before you unhook the straps or you WILL bend the wheelie bars and rip off the front bumper when it rolls off the trailer.. (I got a picture of the outcome)

Centerforce Dual Frictions DO NOT hold up to 475whp and 22psi (Sorry Dave but Ira's brand new clutch is toast)

Ira would of gone low 12's today IF his clutch had the cajones to keep up

Track Prep at ETown today was the most horrible ive seen in years..

Miller does not need to do a burnout to run 1.80 60ft's..

Ira needs to do a crazy burnout to run a 1.90 60ft..

Miller needs to get at minimum 5 hours of sleep the day before he goes to the track again..

Miller is not all talk about his car.. It goes and it goes well..

Ira is finally learning how to launch and shift the car..

Ira went faster than Damon has ever gone smoking the clutch from the 330ft..

This is the last time I will ever go to ETown to watch a friend race or to actually race a car (2 hours to make a pass)

Was it user error on that clutch. Trying to do a burnout and thinking he was spinning the tires and it was the clutch Or did it simply give up making a run.

Did the FKR car run?

Ira went faster than Damon has ever gone smoking the clutch from the 330ft..

in an SC!

How come ma name always pops up! haha

Congrats to Miller..Perhaps hell post times when he gets home..STill moe to come out of that combo

welllllllllll

This is the 3rd time cars been to the track..other times were nothing special + had problems on runs...

First pass ever was a 14.04 @ 99mph w/ 2.01 60ft... I got better every pass going 13.9 13.8 13.8 and 13.7 ( all at either 99 or 100mph) which was the best it had done until today. the car pulls a 1.8 60ft every run pretty much.. Car had problems with shift points and would hit the rev limiter on the 2-3 shift, hard. Also alot of driver error thats being sorted out trying to work around all the little quirks with the car...we fixed up shift poiints bumped limiter a bit , and todayyy

started with a 13.37@ 104 w/ 1.88 60ft
13.13 @ 104w/ 1.84 "
then a 13.2@ 102 w/ 1.85

oh yea, and it was jiggaboo day at E-town, and somebody stole my tires+rims from the pit area. go figure

and ps- i will never again go to E-town. 2 hours between runs. at one point i had fallen asleep in car and somebody hadda wake me up.. hah

and pps. 55 deg and 0% humidity today. wootwoot hah

Last edited:
"oh yea, and it was jiggaboo day at E-town, and somebody stole my tires+rims from the pit area. go figure"

......now that's low,can't even trust people to leave your stuff alone while you're racing.......good runs though,congrats......
z

IRA DID THAT BASTARD

i didnt knotice any tbizzles or cougs around at all. the rims werent even all that nice.....just sucks bc they were my 255's.. now ima have to put stock tires on back...blah

haha i have know that for about 6 yrs. those things are a pos.

Driver technique is key. I've run that clutch with great success at that power level. Not to mention that this particular clutch was not broken in before being taken to the track.

Driver technique is key. I've run that clutch with great success at that power level. Not to mention that this particular clutch was not broken in before being taken to the track.

I think you got lucky with that clutch then. Its well know in the mustang world that df clutches can only handle around 400whp. Ira is making damn near 100whp more than that. I don't see why it should be any different on a tbird. And I'm not counting it to driver error. The car hooked on the launch pretty hard but right before the 1/8th mile I thought the blew the car up because there was so much white smoke pouring out of the car everyone was like he took out the hg. It ended up being his clutch smoking. Ill post up the video of it.

I agree with Dave on the clutch, I read my clutch sheet before the shoot out and I knew it was not seated properly but I was there to race so what the hell. I notice that when I did a burn out at the end of the day I could smell my clutch. the tires were sticking and the clutch was spinning. I have since been driviong it as instructed and the problem seems to have corrected itself. It is possible the clutch is just glazed be us a similiar material for hoists brakes and we scuff them up and reinstall them quite often when a custome complains of slipping brakes.

try driving it nice on the street and see if it reseats.

John

I think you got lucky with that clutch then. Its well know in the mustang world that df clutches can only handle around 400whp. Ira is making damn near 100whp more than that. I don't see why it should be any different on a tbird. And I'm not counting it to driver error. The car hooked on the launch pretty hard but right before the 1/8th mile I thought the blew the car up because there was so much white smoke pouring out of the car everyone was like he took out the hg. It ended up being his clutch smoking. Ill post up the video of it.

I dunno. Gary Kuhn ran the same clutch on his car which made 440rwhp and 480 ftlbs on the spray. He ran that combo a whole season with many 11.xx passes. I saw that clutch afterwards and it didn't show any abnormal wear. The clutch is now in Mike Irving's car. Your old clutch survived all the drag racing I ever did and when I took the motor out of the car I simply replaced the disc (4 missing pucks) and put it back in. It's still in the car.

The only thing I can say is that the car went on the track without sufficient break in time and probably got smeared pretty good on it's very first pass.

Who knows. :confused:

I dunno. Gary Kuhn ran the same clutch on his car which made 440rwhp and 480 ftlbs on the spray. He ran that combo a whole season with many 11.xx passes. I saw that clutch afterwards and it didn't show any abnormal wear. The clutch is now in Mike Irving's car. Your old clutch survived all the drag racing I ever did and when I took the motor out of the car I simply replaced the disc (4 missing pucks) and put it back in. It's still in the car.

The only thing I can say is that the car went on the track without sufficient break in time and probably got smeared pretty good on it's very first pass.

Who knows. :confused:

Ill agree I believe the clutch got totally baked on that first pass and the rest of the runs just added to the damage. On the second pass I could smell the lingering clutch from the stands. Lol

Now I know there is still a few tenths to be had out of Millers combo. He hasnt even experimented with shift points. Kind of hard when you only get three passes every time you go to the track. I think the 60 foot can even be improved upon a bit if he can stall the converter a bit more. he really needs a full test and tune day

Now I know there is still a few tenths to be had out of Millers combo. He hasnt even experimented with shift points. Kind of hard when you only get three passes every time you go to the track. I think the 60 foot can even be improved upon a bit if he can stall the converter a bit more. he really needs a full test and tune day

What he needs is brakes and more stall..

What he needs is brakes and more stall..

He has a 2400 stall and cant get near that to launch. And from past experience you can easily leave a second on the table by not knowing when to shift. Keep a few things in mind. This is Millers first go around of ever racing at the track and first time ever with a car with any type of power. Once he finds out where he needs to shift as well as being able to fully utilize his converter the times will improve.

Now brakes....I still think he has a vacumme leak of some sort. Even with a vacuum canister hes not really getting much

Damon

He has a 2400 stall and cant get near that to launch. And from past experience you can easily leave a second on the table by not knowing when to shift. Keep a few things in mind. This is Millers first go around of ever racing at the track and first time ever with a car with any type of power. Once he finds out where he needs to shift as well as being able to fully utilize his converter the times will improve.

Now brakes....I still think he has a vacumme leak of some sort. Even with a vacuum canister hes not really getting much

Damon

Once he learns how to drive the car he will realize he needs more stall. The car leaves pretty soft.

I'm gonna post the video of his 13.3 run. He tried to do a burnout and the car just rolled forward cause the brakes didn't catch. He tried to back up and do it again but the staging guy wouldn't let him. Went 1.88 that pass lol.

I don't get it. Iras car makes 10" of vac also and the car holds the line loc very well.

Let the beatings begin......

That's right. For those of you who may not have heard, I posted a new best this weekend. 26.003 @ 34.16 mph!! Yes, you read that right. 26.003 @ 34.16mph and on a 1.92 60'!! 500hp but you could have walked it faster then I drove it!! :eek:

Went to E*Town Sunday. 55°,no humidity, some crosswind. Couldn't be much better. Did I mention no track prep? Slick as a baby's arse. I toasted the clutch the first timeout. I mean toasted. Did a really good burnout for a change, still spun the tires pretty well with a 3000k rpm launch (2.0 60') and all was well until about the 1/8 when the clutch spun the rest of the way down the track. There was enough smoke that we actually thought I blew the head gaskets. Video to follow when FKR makes it avalaible.

After that the day just got ugly so we just shut her down and nursed the car with a slipping, chattering clutch home. More when we get the clutch out and see what it looks like.

Brand new (ok so we didn't do the recomended 500 mile granny shifts only break in) Centerforce DF. Go figure.

So, let the beatings begin......:eek:

Ira

Milelr doesnt have line loc...So trying to hold the car against it would be difficult at best.

I had miller check his Booster for leaks but nothing. Wonder if his check valve could be bad.

The cam may be the culprit with soft launches. Sure a higher stall could compensate at this point but he cant even stall to the stall of this converter.

Perhaps hed be better not stalling it..Another technique for launching

Back