5 speed questions

SCNate

i have an 89 sc and it has the 5 speed .... i want so badly to keep a stick in the car but im just not happy with this particular tranny... is there any other 5 or even 6 speeds out there that would swap out with minor difficulty.. i just think this thing shifts horrible compared to other cars i have driven.... maybe a newer mustang tranny? i would think the 6 speed might be a bit too big.... i have no idea... just trying to get ideas...

Thanks,
Nate

i have an 89 sc and it has the 5 speed .... i want so badly to keep a stick in the car but im just not happy with this particular tranny... is there any other 5 or even 6 speeds out there that would swap out with minor difficulty.. i just think this thing shifts horrible compared to other cars i have driven.... maybe a newer mustang tranny? i would think the 6 speed might be a bit too big.... i have no idea... just trying to get ideas...

Thanks,
Nate

What is it you don't you like about the M5R2 tranny?

probably the same thing i hate. gear ratios and notchy shifting... i dont blame him. i'd opt for a t5. :)

the M5r2 was used in the SC for durability. u cant beat on a T5 like u can an M5. these tranny were used in F-150's also thats y they're so rugged.

but i do agree, i hate the notchy shifting also

lol. there was mention of buying a bellhousing adapter for a GM t56 tranny.. would put the shifter in the stock location.... i can imagine the durability of one of those.. but oh god the price. :eek:

Keisler Automotive sells bell housings to bolt the TKO500, TKO600, T-56 and T-45 to a Windsor-style motor. For an SC the TKO would be the best bet, but they're expensive.

6 speed swap

Put a T-56 in it. Get a LS-1 Camaro T-56 (for near correct shifter position)
A McLeod Small block (302) ford to LS-1 T-56 bell housing. I am part way through my swap. Picked up a T-56 from New York Block exchange for $2k (Trans and Core)w/free ship). There are a few articles around.
MikeH

Great find. Is the shifter in the right place?
A bit. lol
Actually, it's just fine, but I don't have a stereo. Add in a loaded dash and you'll loose an inch or two of knuckle room. Still shouldn't be an issue, especially with this shifter:
bootua4.jpg

Yes, it's a rabbit hide shift boot. :)
No boot:
pass2cf9.jpg

I sit a bit forward when racing, so it works out well. I imagine you can get shifters with more bend if needed.

Back