Engine/Trans Swap from 95 to 92

tbirdman

Okay, I have a 92 SC, with approx 145K on it. The transmission (auto) was rebuilt about 4K ago. The engine at this point makes very little boost. I'm restoring the car, and I'm going to rebuild the engine, and either rebuild the supercharger, or see if I can pick up a newer one.

I have an opportunity to pick up a 95 SC engine, tranny and supercharger, with about 70K on them. I've seen the engine out of the car, and it looks in pretty good shape.

My question is, what else, besides the engine/tranny, would I need to complete the swap? Would I need the wiring harness out of the 95 SC, or would mine work? What other components would I need to make it work? Or would I just be better off rebuilding my engine?

Any help for the less than mechanically inclined here (me) would be of great assistance.

Thanks!

you would need the wiring and stuff, because your auto is a manually controlled AOD transmission... the 94-95 was a 4r70w. best bet is to use everything.. that or find a nice m5r2, and swap in a 5-speed while you have her apart.

Yeah, you would need to use some of the wiring for the 95, maybe the engine harness + components and some stuff behind the dash - definately the wiring harness to the transmission as well. Not sure how the wiring changed behind the dash since you have an early dash and the late model is different.
You'll need the EEC for the 95 also since it is calibrated for the engine and controls the 4r70w transmission. You may need to use the driveshaft also, or swap the yoke at the U-joint.

- Dan

If that AOD was recently rebuilt, I'd stick with it and not bother with an unknown and the headache of rewiring everything for the newer EEC. As for the motor, rebuild that 95 or at least freshen it up with new bearings and gaskets etc. before you swap it in.

Just my thoughts anyway.

The simplest thing to do would be to use the existing tranny, engine wiring, computer and sensors. Use the 95 blower, injectors but swap in the front cover,balancer and crank sensor. The car will run fine. It is just the opposite to what I did to my car, no problem.

Is there any way you can pick up the whole car the parts were taken from ?? I would do that, and swap in the dash, interior, and everything else that goes along with it. Its alot of work, but it would be a nice upgrade.

- Dan

Back