2000 mustang 4R70W

nick62087

Ok, so the trans in the 'bird finally went. I knew it was coming, so its not too much of a surprise. I started to remove the transmission myself, but couldnt get the driveshaft out so i gave up for now.

Anyway, my cousin offered to do the swap at his shop on a weekend, if i get another transmission. My question is... will a 4r70w from a 2000 stang fit my 94 SC?

Also, i found some part (looks like a valve) floating in the fluid when i dropped the pan. Is that bad? Could that be the reason it stopped working in 3rd and 4th gear?

Any imput or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

If it is from a 3.8 V6 Mustang, yes it will work.
You'll want to repin the harness, or swap your electronics over - the TCC solenoid must be your original one.
If you are using gears higher than 3.27 / 3.31, you'll want to use the original 7 tooth output shaft, otherwise the 2000 Transmission should have an 8 tooth shaft, so you'll need the appropriate speedo gear.
The last 2000 tranny I used had a smaller bolt pattern on the torque converter, so if yours has one also you'll need a different flexplate.
The valve you found is probably a plug used when the factory installed the dipstick tube. If its still in there, chances are your fluid was never changed and that could be a reason why your 3-4 clutch burnt up.

- Dan

what if the trans is from a GT? Does the 4.6 v8 have a completely different bolt pattern?

Im not too familiar with swapping transmissions, and im just trying to keep this job low-budget.

Thanks,
Nick

Back