How much tranny fluid in AOD change?

quicktsi

I drained the pan, swapped the filter, drained the torque converter. and also pulled the lines going to the radiator to fix the leaky rubber section. It looked like it drained about 7qts from all the items above, since it filled up about half of my oil catch. My tranny has been leaking from the tranny lines going to the radiator at the rubber section. I had not checked what my level was prior to the start of the project, so I do not know how low it was.

I know the manual says it is aproximately 12 qts. I put in 6 qts and tried driving it around and got the car to operating temp before trying to drive. When I got it back in the garage it was just barely on the end of the dipstick. How much should I be putting back in considering all the items I drained?

Follow the book on that, however at the halfway point (6qts) then you start the car leave it in park & then add the remaining fluid. Add some then check, repeat till full.

I understand that but what is the average that people are putting in? Is it 8, 9, 10, 11, 12?

I would assume that it would depend on how low your fluid was to begin with. There is no average as there are many variables. Put fluid in it untill it is at the correct level.

I think the TC hold 4-5 qts, so judge from their. After my little post Shootout incident, we put in 9 of a possible 13 lts, so I was dry, dry, dry. I cant beleive I didnt pooch it. As said above, run it in park, and keep filling a bit at a time until it hits the mark. IMHO

Matt

Thank you Coolhand. I ended up putting in 11.5 qts and it was a little bit above of the hash area, then pulling out .5 qts which put it right at the bottom of the hash area. I will check it again in the next couple of days. For the record I drained the pan, changed the filter, drained the torque converter and fixed the rubber lines going in to the radiator. I used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

The car drove much better. Will see in the morning if it slips after it sits overnight. It did not slip after it set from this morning until this afternoon.

I understand that but what is the average that people are putting in? Is it 8, 9, 10, 11, 12?
My various rebuilds have all needed about 11 to 12 quarts if that helps.
Also, the fluid level will rise as the car sits for a week or more. Check it on level ground after it is warmed up. Most driveways are not level. :)

Last edited:
The car is driving much better than it ever has, since I bought the car. So far it does not appear to be leaking any more.

Back