Aligning Door

Swooshmandm

I replaced the driver door and now I’m having issues with wind noise and the door requires excessive effort to open and close. I believe I just need to align the door. Not really sure how to go about doing that. Could someone please tell me how they suggest aligning a door? Thanks.

It's not truly difficult, but it takes a bit to get it right, especially with how heavy the doors are.

To make things easier on you, you will need to remove the driver's fender so that you can get to the hinge bolts.

You will need to remove the striker pin out of the door as well so that you can set the door in place and be able to let it swing to test how well it shuts.

Next, look at your passenger door. If it's lines are nice and even, measure them and try and find some metal dowels (3 or 4) that are the same diameter as the gap on the passenger side bottom, and also for the gap by the striker side of the door.

Next loosen (NOT remove) the door hinges on the Driver's side.

Slide several dowels under the bottom of the door to assure that the gap is correct, then insert the dowels by where the striker is.

Once you are happy with the gaps, tighten the hinges back up. Remove the dowels, and test the shutting action on the door.

Once you are happy with that, re-attach the striker pin, and check its alignment.

Next replace the Driver's Fender.

Well that seems like the correct way to go about doing it. I came across a simpler description on partsamerica’s website. I’m 100% sure the car had been hit in exactly the same place at one time and the body around the door is a little “off”. I’m not looking for perfection, more like trying to get rid of the wind noise that is driving my crazy. This is what I found.

“Door Alignment
Given time, even the sturdiest car doors sag on their hinges. This is especially true of 2-door models which have longer, heavier doors.
Before you attempt to adjust a door, inspect the hinges for wear by lifting the end of the door up and down. If there is excessive play, one or both hinges will have to be replaced. If you've neglected the body, the play might be where the door pillar has rusted out.
To adjust the door up or down, loosen the hinge-to-body bolts, have an assistant hold the door in the adjusted position, then tighten the bolts. Do in-and-out adjustments only after the up-and-down adjustment is completed by loosening the hinge- to- door bolts and sliding the door in or out appropriately.
Once the door is aligned with an even gap all around and it sits flush with the rest of the body, adjust the door latch striker by loosening it just enough so that closing the door will cause it to move to the proper position, then unlatch the door and retighten the striker.”

I think I’ll try it that way and if I’m not able to get it good enough I’ll take it somewhere to have it done. I’ve never had the extreme patience needed for bodywork type things.

understood, jst remember that your time is cheaper $$ wise than a body shop. I've had estimates in the $500 range for aligning things.

Back