time for rebuild ?

89tird

my engine is loosing a lot of air while the car is running thorugh the dipstick and also when i turn it off air comes out for like 5 seconds through the dipstick, ( no oil just air )

im guessing this is blow by and the rings are done i think i need a rebuild but i need more opinions .

1) i have never taken a car engine apart, i rebuilt a reciprocating aircraft engine back in school couple of years back it was a 4 cyl and it was preety easy , i dont remember much but i think the sc will be a lil harder.

2) i dont have a garage i did the headgaskets in my parking lot, but this is different , im thinking of buying a temporary tent , any opinions ??

3) should i leave to the experts and go broke ?? or do it myself on a car i dont drive ?

4) and final what parts do i need and where to get them , some advice will be good too .. thanks alot for reading this far down.:cool:

do-able

I did mine single handed (first time) with rope and come along from garage rafters.
If you've had the heads off before then you've been most of the way there, just unbolt the tranny and motor mounts.
You may want to run it past the owner of the parking lot?
I assume you'll be taking the motor to a machine shop once you get it out.

But hey, if you can afford to farm it out to someone you trust I would.

MB

how did yours turn out ??
meant to say my driveway. and no i cant really afford to have someone do it for me unless it was really cheap..

once i get it to the machine shop what else should i ask for besides honing ?

i wish i could go back to school and borrow the parts cleaner and honing tool but i cant so i gotta use machine shop

no dont have the gauge and its kind of a pita to remove the plugs while the engine is in ..

but wouldnt air coming out of the dipstick like that indicate bad rings ??

please let me know if something simple could be causing it

:rolleyes:hey good call now i remember a tube that runs under the intake manifold that was cracked i put black rtv on it to seal it but i may have blocked it i think its part of the pcv system

lot of work

My block is still at the shop, so it hasn't turned out just yet.

Is your oil low? Seems strange to get air and not oil out of the dip tube.
A compression check is nowhere near the pia that removing the engine is, maybe it could serve as a first step to removal?

If you're not upgrading internals, you may be better off buying a reman short block.

Bob

It ran me about $700 for my short block to be rebuilt. And it takes machine shops FOREVER... about 3/4 weeks so be prepared..

One more thing I have a 1 1/2 car garage and i barely had room for pulling the engine and tearing it down etc.. I had a whole garage full of parts from tear down! not somthing i would even consider doing outside with no shelter..

wow 700 bucks for a machine shop to rebuild thats not too bad, i got quoted 500 buks just to buy the parts.

my oil is not low , i would get some oil out the dipstick when i bought the car before the hg's but it was very lil, ill just do the compression check to be sure

Thats what i paid for the following...

Block dipped,magnufluxed, bored .20 and honed
rods reconditioned
crank reground
cam bearings and freeze plugs installed
short block re-assembled

Parts:

Gaskets
bearings
oil pump rebuild kit
moly rings
pistons
Head bolts

I took them a completely dissasembled block and i got all that for $700
They even magnafluxed my heads and painted the blockfor me.. Only bitch i have is the headgaskets and intake gaskets they sent back with it were graphite crap gaskets.. (sold em and bought perma-tourque's)

how does the car run under ful boost? If it seesm to be running fine chances are you are having a different issue...That much air in yoru crankcase from blowby would surely cause allotta smoke and a very underpowered poor rnning car

ok check this out i had a 90 sc that had pressure in crank case had good cranking compression had 8 lbs boost ran good .

it had a leak at under side of intake manifold leaked boost into intake valley try tightning the intake bolts they can come loose.

i got a moticraft pcv valve from the junkyard from a bird with 40k on it, just to test i ordered a new one online and im waiting on it.

im thinking of cutting that tube that goes under the manifold and running a new one through the top.that tube is part of the pcv system right?

no smoke from car!!, ran good in boost and good acceleration, would just stall when coming to a stop.

will try the manifold bolts but its leaking at the tstat housing from a bad repair. thanks for suggestions

ok here's what i just did , i disconnected the hose that goes under the intake manifold , from the driver's valve cover to the intake tube , i got a temporary hose and ran it in its place from the top of the engine.

didnt hear any more air coming out of the dipstick , as soon as i connected it back and i pulled on the dipstick a lil bit , air started coming out.

so this means that air is finding a new path through the inside of the engine because it cant go through the blocked hose ?? is that it ?? :confused:

Back