S/C Tensioner Pulley

txsc

I found very correct replacement tensioner pullies for my drive and jackshaft locations; 3", 18-rib plastic; just like OEM. Does anyone know if there is an exact replacement for the S/C pulley? I want a 2.75", 18-rib plastic just like Ford sent it out the door with. Does Ford still offer this smaller pulley? I've made the parts store rounds, and everyone only lists the 3" for all 3 positions. I thought I'd seen a post about this a year ago or so, but doing a search turned up nothing.

Thanks!

JD

PS: I'm aware of the all-steel Dayco pullies; I used them on another project earlier this year. Excellent parts, just not correct for restoration purposes. - JD

yes sir go to auto zone its a 70 mm pulley. Also you can get them all in metal I think the stock ones for the other 2 are 76 mm. I dont know if the 70 mm from autozone is metal or plastic. I got 2 pulleys today from dayco for the main belt and jack shaft. Ill be picking up the supercharger pulley tomarrow from autozone ill be able to let you know if its plastic or metal. 835102 is the part# for the pulley for the supercharger and 231016 is the part# for the other 2 pulleys.

George

yes sir go to auto zone its a 70 mm pulley. Also you can get them all in metal I think the stock ones for the other 2 are 76 mm. I dont know if the 70 mm from autozone is metal or plastic. I got 2 pulleys today from dayco for the main belt and jack shaft. Ill be picking up the supercharger pulley tomarrow from autozone ill be able to let you know if its plastic or metal. 835102 is the part# for the pulley for the supercharger and 231016 is the part# for the other 2 pulleys.

George

I'll give Auto Zone a check to see if they have the 18-rib plastic pullies. I'm looking for restoration-correct parts, so steel is out.

Thanks,

JD

I'll give Auto Zone a check to see if they have the 18-rib plastic pullies. I'm looking for restoration-correct parts, so steel is out.

Thanks,

JD

Dayco the smallest steel one you will find from them is 74mm. so you might be able to find a 70 mm in plastic from them.

George

Do you mean 8 rib (stock) or is there really an 18 rib pulley and belt?

I'm sorry; my description was confusing. When I say "18 rib", I'm refering to the radial support "spokes" inside the pulley face. Relative to width, they are the stock 8-rib size.

Thanks!

JD

Aww, learn something new everyday if you stick around here. But I'm only 6 months old in SC years so lots left to learn still.

I used two pulleys from Autozone but had to flip the top one backwards to align correctly, and had to put a washer behind the lower one to align it. Belts are traveling on the meat of the pulley just fine now.

Last edited:
...835102 is the part# for the pulley for the supercharger and 231016 is the part# for the other 2 pulleys...

These are steel pullies. As stated originally, I'm looking for the plastic ones that EXACTLY duplicate the ones installed at the factory.

JD

If you have a Carquest close by, stop by their place. their parts catalog is quite advanced and has pictures of nearly every part in their system. sure made finding a gasket easier once.

Have them look through the lines they carry for your dimension and appearance.

I can't find a goodyear engineering catalog online. Did you look at the goodyear pullies, are they close?

Have you posted the part numbers and source for the larger pulley? If not would you mind sharing? This would be a good post for the restoration forum.

Have you posted the part numbers and source for the larger pulley? If not would you mind sharing? This would be a good post for the restoration forum.

I'm planning on doing so; I just wanted to take photos of the old and new pullies, and the box, which should answer all questions. I'm also working on getting a proper 70mm pulley from Ford, which is obsolete. After I find out if/how many are left in the system, I'll post that information as well.

I want to put all the information in one post for brevity and ease of future searching.

Thanks,

JD

Thanks! Did Ford ever sell the SC plastic pulleys separate from the tensioner? I remember when I tried to buy pulleys many years ago, the dealer said they were only available as a unit with the tensioner included.

Thanks! Did Ford ever sell the SC plastic pulleys separate from the tensioner? I remember when I tried to buy pulleys many years ago, the dealer said they were only available as a unit with the tensioner included.

Apparently, they are/were available separately. I'll have more information to share tomorrow after I huddle with my parts man. Regardless, I'll post what I learn along with the 76mm pulley details.

JD

We will need some for the AWD SC Project. I noticed several were flat spotted even though the car only has 38K miles on it.

I'm still waiting on feedback from my parts source on the 70mm pulley, so I've gone ahead and attached the photos of the 76mm pulley.

The first is a shot of an original (left) and replacement (right) pulley. The second is the box that the new pulley came in showing the vendor and P/N.

Hope this helps everyone.

Regards,

JD

PS: George, if you'd like to move this thread to the Restoration Forum, that might be the best place for it. - JD

Attachments

• 76mm pulley.jpg
    76mm pulley.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 76mm pulley box.jpg
    76mm pulley box.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Drivealign is a registered trademark of gates if you did not know thats who napa gets that pulley from. I am still working on the correct size 70 mm supercharger pulley I have a whole tensioner unit comming for my car from goodyear ill let you know how it looks compaired to stock it will be here on the 21st

George

I'm still waiting on feedback from my parts source on the 70mm pulley, so I've gone ahead and attached the photos of the 76mm pulley.

The first is a shot of an original (left) and replacement (right) pulley. The second is the box that the new pulley came in showing the vendor and P/N.

Hope this helps everyone.

Regards,

JD

PS: George, if you'd like to move this thread to the Restoration Forum, that might be the best place for it. - JD

Back