tach drops out

quicktsi

I redid the dis with artic silver 5 last week. I changed the cam sensor over the weekend with a brand new Borg Warner unit. Neither have fixed the problem.

How many people have got a bad cam sensor out of the box? I am going to try and swap it out for another new one.

My tach will just die and the check engine light comes on until the tach starts working again, and then the CEL light goes back out. The strange thing is when the tach goes out the car drives fine, no rough idle or stumbling. My car has rarely ever cranked right over, but I think that is due to a vac leak because at idle it appears to be at 15 instead of 17-20.

Any ideas?

get codes read, and yes alot of new sensors your get from the parts can and are bad right from the box, also these cars do very well with oem electronics if you can find them.
Crank sensor maybe causing the starting issue

I think they said they could special order Motorcraft. I will call them in the morning and have them order one.

Let me know what ends up fixing you're problem cause I had the same issue with my car before I tore it down for upgrades.So I'd like to take care of it why I have it all apart anyways.

Jay

How many people have got a bad cam sensor out of the box?
Not right out of the box, but went bad with less than 500 miles on it. I verified that the "suspect" part was bad by testing it in my other car. I ended up using an old cam sensor and no problems since. :rolleyes:

My tach will just die and the check engine light comes on until the tach starts working again, and then the CEL light goes back out. The strange thing is when the tach goes out the car drives fine, no rough idle or stumbling. My car has rarely ever cranked right over, but I think that is due to a vac leak because at idle it appears to be at 15 instead of 17-20.

Any ideas?
I had a similar problem on my white car.. tach would just drop out after about 20 minutes running time but with no running problems at all. Swapped out the DIS for an older one (I always keep a few spares on hand) and no problem since. :cool:

Had an aftermarket DIS problem

Was driving on a two lane blacktop highway in the boonies of Central Florida when the engine just shut off. Stuck the clutch in and let it coast down to around 50 mph and stated it up with the key.

Thinking it might be a DIS problem, I purchased a new one from NAPA and installed it. About a month later the car wouldn't start. Slapped a used OEM DIS on the car - problem solved.

Took the NAPA DIS back. Didn't get a refund - got a credit.

I try to stick with OEM for the DIS, crank and cam sensors.

eddie

'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Back