Jeez! Its COLD!

Plums72

hey guys, so i finally got around to fixing the coupe, its basically done, its driveable atleast, but before i go have fun! :D i want to know if there is something wrong with my heat, because even after the car warms up, the heat never seems to get hot, and it takes an awful long time to get lukewarm.
so any help woud be appreciated, cause im a southern boy and cold is ok, but not no 32 and 28 degrees without a heater!

First off make sure your heater core has not been by-passed. There are 2 coolant lines on the passenger side that run through the firewall to the heater core. If these lines are hooked up, then you may have a plugged heater core, not allowing warm coolant to flow through it.
If these lines are not hooked up, your heater core may have been leaking, so the owner just bypassed the heater core.

All of this information is assuming that your coolant level is not low and everything else in the cooling system is flowing properly.

Last edited:
Is there a thermostat in the car? From what you explained it sounds like its either stuck open or missing.

there is supposed to be a thermostat in there, but thats what my dad thinks, that its getting stuck open and white ill deffinetly check that out! thanks alot guys!

This too.................!

If you drain down the system to do anything! Disconnect the heater hoses and "back flush" the heater core! Do this by alternately putting a garden hose on the end of each disconnected heater hose, you will be amazed at the amount of crud that comes out! Then, replace the hoses. This will keep the little ladies tootsie's toasty warm an' yer bun's as well. cheers and beers, White Lightning!

oh and thunderkid, it runs in the family! we have 3! ones been totaled by a dump truck and the other is getting turned into a sleeper with regular bird parts then i get the spare sc parts! so deff. another sc'er

I'll trade ya. Mine makes so much heat it will singe the hair off your legs.

thanks, but "back flush?" sorry, dont really know what that is!:confused:
Run water in the opposite direction through the core. That means into the hose on the driver's side and out through the hose on the passenger side. Also be sure your coolant is full. A bit low and it won't flow through the hearter core very well.

There is also a possibility that the heat control itself is not operating if everything else checks out. Might be something else to look into.

Back