Underbody Paint?

blueblur89

Hey everyone, I'm looking at painting the underbody of my car when I head home for Thanksgiving break. It has a little surface rust starting and even though it's not bad, I'd like to stop the cancer. Has anybody done this before? I've heard POR is supposed to be good? Also any ideas on color, I was thinking a flat back? Any comments would be appreciated.

search rust proofing around your area, i was going to do it to my crown vic for 120.

Hey everyone, I'm looking at painting the underbody of my car when I head home for Thanksgiving break. It has a little surface rust starting and even though it's not bad, I'd like to stop the cancer. Has anybody done this before? I've heard POR is supposed to be good? Also any ideas on color, I was thinking a flat back? Any comments would be appreciated.

POR is what you want to use if you have some rust already started. Follow the directions on the package, and you'll be fine. This will arrest the rust, and leave a black coating. If you'd like, you can paint over the POR to achieve the color/gloss level you desire.

Undercoating will only cover up the rust; it will continue to eat the steel underneath. POR will stop the rust and prevent it from spreading.

JD

Ah, I use the poor man's way : Diesel or kerosene

Go to the car wash and clean the underneath realy well, around the gas tank, rocker, suspension and other hard to manually clean areas. Then let it dry all the way, next buy your choice of diesel or kerosene or even a gallon of WD40 but some in a spray bottle and apply a mist with a few coats if needed, try to avoid exhaust pipe itself and please do it on a cold car for your safety. When starting let it idle and slowly heat up as some overspraying might have happened.
Hey it works and soaks into that flakey, gritty rust and keeps the water out. Um, the EPA might not like the idea. Might need to repeat treatment in states that are generous with the salt midway thru the winter.

P.S. Hope Things at court go well for me tommaro otherwise you wont be hearing from me till 6 months or a year.:confused:

I like to use a combination of Expensive Mobil 1 ATF and 10W40 from leaking seals. It coats underneath rather nice. Living in New Mexico helps too!:D

I like to use a combination of Expensive Mobil 1 ATF and 10W40 from leaking seals. It coats underneath rather nice. Living in New Mexico helps too!:D

Same here .. mostly Transmission fluid. Coats the whole underside with grease, and dirt. But I dont know what body Rust looks like here in California. ;)

- Dan

I'm currently protecting the underside of my car with supercharger oil! wow thats expensive!! time to yank the blower and re-seal the case!

Thanks everyone for the input. I called the local automotive supply and the paint guy recommended POR. He said it works great, all you have to do is clean/wire wheel any loose rust and grime off and then brush on the POR. So I think I'll give it a try when I get back home over Thanksgiving. I'll let you know how it turns out.

By the way, I started looking into this because, like you guys have said, I was also using synthetic engine oil as a rust preventer until i rebuilt the motor last spring and no leaks so far (knock on wood).

Back