Most Efficient Setup for Air Flow

I have a question about what would be the most effiecent setup to provide cool air as it is sucked in threw the air filter, threw the MAF, into CAI ect... Now I doubt there is one correct answer here so i guess I am looking for some opinions. Well what i know:

Compressing air as it flows condenses it, makes it heavier, which in return naturally heats it.
You expand air, it decompresses, becomes lighter which in return naturally cools it.

Obviously the colder the air the better, so would it make sense to start off with say a 76mm MAF and sequentially make every next part contain a larger width? Or is this formula irrelevant for cooler air entering the engine?

Would there be noticable differences within these 3 setups:
Everything equal in widths
Starting large (90mm etc...) and getting smaller.
Starting small and increasing in widths.

I would think starting small and increasing with widths would be best as it expands the air and cools it, although there would be a smaller amount of air flow...? I don't know

Last edited:
90maf will just mess things up

it wont be tuned you dont have the corrct injectors..

stick the with stock, maybe a 75mm maf and 76mm tb a cai of your choice...JLT makes a nice one piece intake similar to the ZR, which is no longer bieng produced...but people only speak highly of it.

the fender is where that cold denser air is....however you dont want 90* turns before your maf...thats why i recommend the intake from jlt no bends the mafs goes in the fender and the filter is down there too. but no twists and turns.

http://www.jlttruecoldair.com

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20572&d=1149203731

Last edited:
i'm not asking what i should get, i already have all these things, i was just curious in case i ever want to change. I don't care about info about these parts, just what will provide the most efficient air flow. And what is more important, colder air OR having more air flowed.

i'm not asking what i should get, i already have all these things, i was just curious in case i ever want to change. I don't care about info about these parts, just what will provide the most efficient air flow. And what is more important, colder air OR having more air flowed.

well what are you running that you need so much air?

is it overdriven, ported?

you dont want any restrictions in you intake setup you want the best flowing intake as possible with the coldest air.

its winter so you will be already getting nice cold air, just make sure you keep it that way with a heat shield for whatever you already have. just focus on more air for now.

Last edited:
well what are you running that you need so much air?

is it overdriven, ported?

you dont want any restrictions in you intake setup you want the best flowing intake as possible with the coldest air.

its winter so you will be already getting nice cold air, just make sure you keep it that way with a heat shield for whatever you already have. just focus on more air for now.

No no your missing the point, this has nothing to do with my car or any car of the winter or whatever. Simply using the sience of air flow heating and cooling, along with the amount of air flow, flowing threw...what will be most efficient?

Especially with the heat issues involved with our cars, denser, colder air is the way to go. Big equal diameter pipes with the least amount of bends is the way to go. That way, the air molecules wont hit each other as they cross the angled section of pipe and create heat, along with slowing down the air flow. Big and straight is the way to go in my opinion.

Especially with the heat issues involved with our cars, denser, colder air is the way to go. Big equal diameter pipes with the least amount of bends is the way to go. That way, the air molecules wont hit each other as they cross the angled section of pipe and create heat, along with slowing down the air flow. Big and straight is the way to go in my opinion.

Ya I know denser cold air is obviously prefferred type, but is a larger flow of air better to have then an expanded from front to back setup that naturally cools the air as it flows? You will have a larger flow of air, but it wouldnt get the cooling it would from an increasing expansion setup.

Ya I know denser cold air is obviously prefferred type, but is a larger flow of air better to have then an expanded from front to back setup that naturally cools the air as it flows? You will have a larger flow of air, but it wouldnt get the cooling it would from an increasing expansion setup.

Instead of running an increasing expansion setup, you can just run everything the largest size you have going. Say you have an 85mm Tb, 3" intake, 76mm MAF, and a cone filter. If you run the 85mm TB, 3.5" intake, 80mm MAF, and some massive K&N, it wold be more worth it to go big all the way for flow instead of making a restriction in order to cool the air.

Instead of running an increasing expansion setup, you can just run everything the largest size you have going. Say you have an 85mm Tb, 3" intake, 76mm MAF, and a cone filter. If you run the 85mm TB, 3.5" intake, 80mm MAF, and some massive K&N, it wold be more worth it to go big all the way for flow instead of making a restriction in order to cool the air.

So you are saying a larger constant flow is more efficient than an expanding setup to cool the air correct.

Why is that?

Anything that will force air into your intake (ram air) is bad. It can cause turbulence and throw your MAF off. I reccomend if going with a cone filter to get an S&B high flow type that has an open end. And yes cool air is always better although I have seen dyno comparisons of cold air type setups not performing as well as open cone setups on the same car same day with a cooldown inbetween

Last edited:
So you are saying a larger constant flow is more efficient than an expanding setup to cool the air correct.

Why is that?

Because with an expanding setup, your smallest point becomes a pinch point and a restriction, where the rest of the setup is optimized for a larger amount of flow than the smallest part can allow. Depending on what the car has for needs in terms of flow, the cooling effects would be nulled because the smaller amount of air taken in by the expanding setup would have to move faster into the engine, generating friction, and ultimately, heat.

Sorta seems kinda moot anyway as the parts your discussing come BEFORE the SC, which is going to compress, heat and create some turbulance with the air. What you do with it AFTER it leaves the SC is critical to cooling it down as much as possible.

Back