After replacing Alternator, the darn voltage lite is on agn!?!?

89PPSC

Ok, I correctly installed a new alternator after the first one went out. The replacement was preceeded by the light coming on a day before my car died. Once I installed the new one, everything was fine for about a week or so and now the light is back on. I don't want this car to die out on me again- chances are that it'll be at the most inopportune time... like always!

Can anyone assist?

Thanks-

How's the battery in the car?

The alternator for the SC is not designed to charge a dead battery, or a weak one that won't hold a charge.
If you install a new alternator, without first making sure you have a good fully charged battery, the alternator will burn itself out trying to charge the battery.

Ok, I correctly installed a new alternator after the first one went out. The replacement was preceeded by the light coming on a day before my car died. Once I installed the new one, everything was fine for about a week or so and now the light is back on. I don't want this car to die out on me again- chances are that it'll be at the most inopportune time... like always!

Can anyone assist?

Thanks-

Not uncommon for a rebuilt alternator to fail shortly after installing....take it back and get another one. What the guy said about overloading the alternator trying to charge a dead battery is also true.

David

Newly rebuilt alternator-

I bought it from Checker out here in Vegas, slapped it on in bout an hour and I DID use it to recharge my 2 month old, slightly undersized, Walmart battery.

I had to replace the battery and the Walmart warranty from the previous owner still applied- so I just went ahead with that one. Otherwise I would've gotten a larger one.

I just can't imagine a newly rebuilt alternator burning out one week after re-charging a little battery from a jump start but...

I'm going to strengthen all of my grounds and terminal connections and see what happens to that light. As of right now it fades on at red lights, fades off when I'm moving about town... kinda intermittently.

Thank gentlemen for your insight. Any added suggestions are definitely appreciated.

DC-

Last edited:
I just can't imagine a newly rebuilt alternator burning out one week after re-charging a little battery from a jump start but...

I went through at least four rebuilt and new NAPA alternators that didn't last on my '97 4.6 LX sport. Some went out in a week. Some lasted a month or so.

I have a report from NAPA that shows, with photos, how the soilder connections inside the alternators were substandard work and melted apart.

Ended up having the alternator rebuilt by hand. Last time I replaced the alternator on the SC, I had it rebuilt by hand.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

I agree with everyone else a lot of times its a total crapshot on rebuilt starter, alternator, etc. Sometimes they last for the life of the car and sometimes they are bad from the get go.
Dan

Back