Burned holes clear thru my CATS

Rpdboss

:eek: I knew the car was gettin louder even after I used the best high temp exhaust repair out there. so my repairs lasted 1000 miles. You can see in one of the pics I used a strip of sheet metal and rivited it over a hole already there, and sealed it with exhaust stuff . So since I have the car up on 4 jackstands for brake line replacement ( still need answers:rolleyes: ) I figured better take off the exhaust for inspection /replacement. Heres what I found. And yes thats snow on the ground...Here in Buffalo, NY area

Attachments

• DSCF3203 (Large).JPG
    DSCF3203 (Large).JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF3204 (Large).JPG
    DSCF3204 (Large).JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF3205 (Large).JPG
    DSCF3205 (Large).JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCF3202 (Custom) (2).JPG
    DSCF3202 (Custom) (2).JPG
    374.8 KB · Views: 136
Heres what going in its place

After searching the bone yard I turned 3 tbirds on thier sides (hope anybody didn't need new doors or small rear glass) and checked out the exhaust. The 90's was crushed by previous loader moving, the 93 was missing an oxgen sensor on one side and the 94 was already cut for cats:(. So after talking with the guy he said he had something that might work, said it came off of a mustang or something,(anyone know what its from?) thought somebody might want it one day. SO after loking it over and compairng it to my stock one i took there Idecided it should work with moddification. Like cutting some of of the flared section to make it smaller in size, cutting the pipes after the cats so i can turn them to achieve the proper angle coming out of the manifolds. ~~~~ it even came with 4 good oxygen sensos, wont need the other 3, or maybe plug the one on the manifold and use the 2 before the cats, then use the 2 after for wideband sensors, but would probably read different after cats.. If anyone has used this exhaust with the 94's let me know what has to be done. Price for this with exchange was $25:D

Attachments

• DSCF3206 (Large).JPG
    DSCF3206 (Large).JPG
    101 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF3207 (Large).JPG
    DSCF3207 (Large).JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF3208 (Large).JPG
    DSCF3208 (Large).JPG
    91 KB · Views: 101
Im sure you can make anything fit but I have not heard of it being done. WHat would be interesting is to see if the exhuast/header combo would kinda fit. You will definitly have a manifold flange issue with this setup on your factory manifolds

Some progress made

I cut the flanges off right under where it ends, cut the old flange pipe as long as i could from the cats from the stock ones. The darn exhaust pipe is so big compaired to the stock. This is 2 1/4 and stock is 2 ! My plan is to use the old flanges with minimimal length and weld them into the new ones. So far I had to cut the new flanges off both sides, cut the longest section on old flanges from my stock exhaust and try to fit the together. Right now i'm stuck at grinding for stock mounting hieght as these were ment for a hogher sitting engine or shorter manifiolds. Then I gotta get the drivers side cat angle right as I also had to cut after the cat to rotate it a few degrees. Probably tommaro i'll get it right,tack weld those joints, remove em and full weld them.:rolleyes:

More progress

I got the passengers side done already, welded a new correct size flange on it, ground it clean, bolted it up. Noticed though my exhaust is about 2 inches further toward the rear than i wanted, so now i gotta shorten the resonator pipe or take 1 1/2 inch sections out of each side before the share cat:rolleyes:. more welding and cutting for tommaro after i get my wifes car inspected. Anyone wanna give a guess as to the origin on this exhaust?

Got from the manifolds to the resonator conection done!

I got tired of waiting for my good welder buddy who's doing it for a living for over 20 years now. So i grabed some brazing rod for steel, my single cylinder map gas torch, exhaust and started my oldschool work. 2hrs later i made 4 full brazed joints. Checked for fittment, was good. Bolted it up and fired it up without a resonator or anything further back as I have to shorten the pipe of the resonator. I have some good sized leaks at the joints where the flanges/ downtubes meet the manifold, maybe there a bit out of round. So my only good guess is to use some left over fireplace rope like seal, cut it to the right size circle, use tiny drops on glue to hold it to the flanges in a circle, then bolt it up. Exhaust putty if used again wont hold up for long, high temp silicone isnt high temp enough and the auto parts store didnt have any exhaust flange gaskets thin enough or at the low angle needed. I gave up my work at 12:30am when the wife reminded me it was raining and cold out:rolleyes:

Its done, finaly at 12:40am with 2 new inches of snow

Took some pics of my skills in the cold. Got new exhaust nuts and lock washers. Well enjoy the pics. sounds stock like, pretty quiet.:)

Attachments

• DSCF3219 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF3219 (Custom).JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCF3226 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF3226 (Custom).JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF3222 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF3222 (Custom).JPG
    120 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF3224 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF3224 (Custom).JPG