ball joint or tie rod

BrentSC

i have a weird noise in the front end when ever i turn. i went up to the shop in town and they said it is most likely a ball joint or tie rod end. . the sound is like metal on metal like almost grinding. is there ways to test and see if it is ither the tie rod end or the ball joint?????

add sway bar end link to your list ...where it mounts to the spindle ..if your lucky and can undo it [16 or 18 mm nut] without breaking it ..you can get some grease on the under side ...before the sound drives you nuts ....dave

and also before...

It sounds like your your lower ball joint bushing. You can hammer the old one out since you'll just throw it away anyways. But the new one should be pressed in. However, I've hammered em in before and then tightened the nut firmly with impact tools and never had a problem since. Make sure you use and impact though. Hand tight is most def not enough.

DC-

i have a weird noise in the front end when ever i turn. i went up to the shop in town and they said it is most likely a ball joint or tie rod end. . the sound is like metal on metal like almost grinding. is there ways to test and see if it is ither the tie rod end or the ball joint?????
Yes.. Raise the car and push and pull on the wheel and strut rods, control arms, whatever you can grab.. as hard as you can from all angles to see what moves. Nothing should move.

does this make sence?????

so today i had the front end of the car lifted up.. both front wheels off the ground. i took the tire off the front right hand side of the car where the noise was comming from... i grabed the disc brake and cranked the steering back and forth about 15 times. i didnt hear anything out of the ordinary. put the wheel back on went for a drive then the sound was gone lol. i greesed the tie rod end yesterday but it still made the noise. the only reason i can guess that the sound went away is that i took all the weight off the tie rod end and when i cranked the steering back and forth the greese got into the unlubricated area. does anyone think this makes sence ???? !! lol thanks

Back