I'm lost 80mm MAF MArk VIII Searched

posjr

Ok i've searching for about an hour now. I just did the MAF mod to my car but car dont run right. So i went to the bone yard and found a 80mm MAF. No i'm reading it will run richer but than also read it will run leaner. Some say good some say bad. So I'm Lost.

So the sc has #36 injectors. The 80mm MAF is #24. Can you drill the 80mm sampling tube to math 36 injectors?

I plan on doing a tune but trying to add alot more stuff before spending the money or tuning.

My man concern is the car dont run lean. I'll add it just as is if it will run alittle rich! Until i buy injectors and get a tune.

Without either buying a matching MAF for your "new" injector size which is a crap shoot at best, (especially if you go for more than one step up for injectors), or getting a chip and tune......

your SOL.

Unless you go with the right sample tube for a C&L MAF (either the 73 or 76) to the injector size you want to run, you will 100% need a tune or risk blowing up your motor with any other MAF. Even running a "calibrated" C&L is running a risk without getting a tune, more so the larger injector size you go from stock.

the stock maf u had would have been plenty for the mods u have and some more mods in the future. but since u already messed with it u might as well get a 76mm C&L MAF. it will be more flow than you'll ever need. i think its an orange tube for the 36# injectors.

Last edited:
Factory Ford MAFS are calibrated in the computer for a particular injector size..There is no adjusting of the MAF to be had. You would need to do it via a tune

I'm going to the bone yard again today. I'm just going to get a stock one. When i had the stock one it would scream to 5k now it flats out 4k. I'll hold on to the 80mm until i'm ready to tune and get larger injectors. Sound better?

Is there anything else i can get from the bone yard to add to my car like a TB driveshaft or even injectors? Its a 95 SC 5spd.

What bone yard you talking about ?? Pick and Pull ?

You probably wouldnt need the 80mm, the stock 95 SC MAF is fine, but good luck finding one of those in a junkyard around here. Most of the power you'll gain is all from the tune, not from adding bigger injectors or MAF, unless you do some head porting and overdrive the SC more.

- Dan

What bone yard you talking about ?? Pick and Pull ?

You probably wouldnt need the 80mm, the stock 95 SC MAF is fine, but good luck finding one of those in a junkyard around here. Most of the power you'll gain is all from the tune, not from adding bigger injectors or MAF, unless you do some head porting and overdrive the SC more.

- Dan

Yes pick n pull. Found a stock MAF housing but think it is the older year it is a 73mm. The stamp only has a 0 on it. Bought it anyways. I think i will work better than the 80mm and the stock one which i cut and drilled. Right? Unless you got one hanging around?

Use your original MAF sensor (the electronic part) on the new housing that you just bought and you should be fine.

Not many other things from a junkyard that will help you.

that 80mm unit is really useless to u. its tuned originally for whatever injector size the Mark VIII came with stock and there is no modifying it to work with your injectors.

the other one u picked up is good. i think the late model mafs measured 70mm. so just use that til u need to upgrade injectors.

that 80mm unit is really useless to u. its tuned originally for whatever injector size the Mark VIII came with stock and there is no modifying it to work with your injectors.

the other one u picked up is good. i think the late model mafs measured 70mm. so just use that til u need to upgrade injectors.

Actually the MAF is not "tuned" to any injector size. The tune is in the EEC. All the MAf does is send a voltage to the eec, and the more air goes through the sampling tube, the higher the voltage. The MAF function in the EEC defines how much air is flowing based on that voltage.

You could hook up ANY MAF out there, and if it sends 3.5Volts, then the EEC looks up and sees your drawing in 500kg/hour of air. Now if that is the stock function with a 55mm stock MAF, then yeah your getting 500kg/h of air, but you go to a 80mm MAF, and don't change the function, the car still says your pulling in 500kg/h so that amount is used to determine the amount of fuel etc, but in reality your engine is getting 1000kg/h... very dangerous lean condition.

The 80mm can be used, but someone will have to take the time and setup the MAF function in the EEC, so when 500kg/h of air is going in, and the voltage coming from the MAF is only reading say 2 Volts, then the EEC will calculate fuel etc based on 500kg/h of air going in.

Fords are funny. Many many many different MAFs can be swapped for one another so long as you have factory injector sizes. That is not to say the transfer function set in yorur EEC will yeild ideal results for that MAF on your vehicle but ford never reinvented the wheel there. (this goes for the early gen MAFS which we have on our cars)

The factory EEC has some leway. I have tried various MAFS (factory) from everything from an 89 5.0 GT(19lb inj),93 Cobra5.0 (24lb injectors), 95 Cobra(24lb injectors) 90SC(30lb inj), 95 SC(36lb inj) as well as various v6 and v8models. So even though all may not be ideal all may work to an extent

I have never treid the 80mm MArk VIII MAF however I have heard it is very similiar to the 94/95 SC and chances are it would work on an earlier SC as well.

Personally i like the later model 70mm Factory MAFf (same housing as the 93 Cobra).

I'm actually going to do some testing of various MAFS on my 94 sc as soon as I hook up my wiideband to see whats up

Man never thought the MAF was that big of a deal. Well i add the MAF i found which i have no clue from what car just saw it laying around at pick n pull. Which had a 73mm opening. The car runs great again. Screams to 5.5k unlike before flat lining out at 4k :D

damn frit, always gotta be so technical ;)

i like to put things in simpler terms rather than getting into the technical stuff. but i know ur just trying to put the right info out there.

modifying the 80mm maf to run for his stock injectors and then again when he upgrades involves more crap than just buying a 73mm or 76mm and swapping sample tubes.

damn frit, always gotta be so technical ;)

i like to put things in simpler terms rather than getting into the technical stuff. but i know ur just trying to put the right info out there.

modifying the 80mm maf to run for his stock injectors and then again when he upgrades involves more crap than just buying a 73mm or 76mm and swapping sample tubes.

To a point ;)..... if you have stock injectors or maybe 1 size up you should be ok... anymore and you will want to consider a tune. I've just looked into what the 76mm with a purple sample tube for 42lb's would land me for load calculations... and its scary where you get into for timing and fuel....

hehehehehehe Just being technical somemore :D

Is there a way to make the C&L sample tube work on a stock mark 80mm.

I already bought one thinking it would be fine. But just read you need a C&L MAF to use the C&L sample tubes :eek:

Will i think i found my next DIY. Cut the stock sample tube off and find a way to mount the C&L sample tube on. Shouldnt be that hard.

:confused:

Will i think i found my next DIY. Cut the stock sample tube off and find a way to mount the C&L sample tube on. Shouldnt be that hard.

no can do..Sample tube size is just as much a function of the tube diameter itself as it is teh size of teh MAF its in. For instance a purpel tube in a 73 mm C&L is different then having it in a 76 or 80mm C&L

You cant just do that

no can do..Sample tube size is just as much a function of the tube diameter itself as it is teh size of teh MAF its in. For instance a purpel tube in a 73 mm C&L is different then having it in a 76 or 80mm C&L

You cant just do that

Will i sent an email to C&L and told them i had a 80mm MAF and i need 36lb. They said yo use the Blue tube. I would think thiis would be ok for any 80mm MAF.

I can cut the stock tube off than drill two holes on top to mount the C&L tube than JB weld to clean any gaps!

You're playing with fire. My advice...be ready to replace your engine. Messing around with the A/F ratio without actually knowing the effects, especially when we're talking about a forced induction setup, isn't the best idea.

-Rod

Back