new car carnage

90blkbrd

Yesterday I drove down to KC to look at and buy a SC. Well it had a funny pull to the right under even mild acceleration. I just figured it might be the engine outperforming the suspension(it has a SCU engine in it). On the way home I needed to check out what this car can do in 3rd and 4th. I had a piece of interstate with no one a between me and my wife but .5 miles of empty interstate(I wonder how that happened). All of a sudden at mile marker 120 :rolleyes: the rear started swaying from left to right so bad I thought I was going to loose control, and it got worse under breaking.

Well today I spent 3 hours cleaning the interior and air cleaner and then decided to jack up the back end and see what might be the matter.

I'm lucky that the nut couldn't come completely loose. I'm assuming that this nut came loose after the Mark VIII LCA installation.

DSC01468.jpg

Then I saw this:

DSC01467.jpg

Luckily I had some near perfect ones that I took off my other car when I installed my FRPP 3.73's.

Here is a picture of the pieces:
DSC01470.jpg

Then I saw this:

DSC01469.jpg

I'm pretty sure the 1/2 shaft is bad.

Wow, there is always a reason for previous owners to get rid of cars. YOu migh have found one of them.

Wow, there is always a reason for previous owners to get rid of cars. YOu migh have found one of them.

I don't believe that to be true.

I took the car out for a spin and the horrendous pull to the right is gone. I does have a clunk with each gear change (coming from the right rear). Now the car feels like I thought it should. I can now RUN through the gears and I don't need to put a lot of effort keeping it strait.

I put in one oem differential mount and had to leave the other poly mount in there. Someone (DD) put a huge exhaust on this thing and I couldn't get the impact wrench on the other one. Anyone think I would hurt the car with it this way for a while?

Where is the best place to get a half shaft?

What is really funny is that this is the second car I have purchased that had the right rear control arm nut not tight. The other was back in 1989 when I purchased a salvaged 1986 MR2.

Well michael you got a real nice car. Guess next shootout you and I are going to be competing:D I look forward to seeing it. Maybe I'll have to come up there and see it;) Glad you were able to find those problems and solve them

Ken

Where are the rest of the pix of the car? Was it a previous SCCoA's car that you purchased?

Chris

You probably were the one who forgot to tighten the nut. :) Just kidding. I went to KC yesterday and picker her up. A 1990 white 5-speed. Ring any bells?

I had to wash it first. Pictures soon.

Congradulations on the new bird...i've read that its a nice one!!! What was your first impression of the power level??? Aside from the dangerous rear end swapping you had going on....

My first impression of the power level during the test drive told me this car was fast. But this car had sat for a few months and I think the fresh fuel and being driven for three hours changed it. It sure seems like it has 50 HP more today than it did during the test drive. I can't wait to have this car performing at it's potential. I still don't have the snow injection working. :D

was curious how the car was setup to use the mark 8 lca? looks like those flat aluminum plates were used? i'm interested on putting some on my car and was just looking for the simplest way instead of buying some fancy perches. pics would be awesome! love the wheels by the way too!

was curious how the car was setup to use the mark 8 lca? looks like those flat aluminum plates were used? i'm interested on putting some on my car and was just looking for the simplest way instead of buying some fancy perches. pics would be awesome! love the wheels by the way too!

I know nothing about what was done. I'll try and remember to take some pictures next time it is up in the air.

Aha, so you're the lucky buyer. Nice ride. I'm glad to hear that you got the problem solved without any injury to yourself or others.

Back