No Start

smms25

So, I installed new cam senor and crank sensors on my 93 5speed. I recently replaced headgaskets as well. The car is getting fuel and firing, but still will not start. I have also put new spark plugs, wires, water pump (it was getting time for it)... just for a background of what I've done to the car. Someone help me out here.

My buddy built his motor up from crank out, got it installed and could barely get the starter to turn it over and it wouldn't start.
After doing MAJOR testing and researching (he's a computer engineer and can actually dump the ECM code into Microsoft Visual Developer and knows all the tables and inputs, so he knows these systems).
Anyway, we tried to start it, no luck, found the cam sensor was 180 deg. out, fixed that and still turned over very hard, noisy like metal and wouldn't start :mad:

Well I used to race motorcycles and jet ski's and I thought of an old trick. Just maybe we'll shoot a little, just a little, WD40 into the TB wide open as he cranked it. In my 2-strokes we used it instead of starting fluid with no negative effects on tear down.
Took two little shots and it fired right up, nice and quiet, then started every time after that with no effort on the starter like before...

So what happened..., best I can figure when he tried to start it with the cam sensor out of time, it washed the cylinder walls down and since it's a new motor it had no compression to start.
By spraying some WD into the cylinders, it must have sealed the new rings off enough to start up. I've used oil as this trick to test for bad rings in the past, but the WD fixed what two days of diagnosing couldn't...:D

double check spark plug wire order? sounds obvious, but it got me once when i fired mine up after a rebuild. it would fire but then kill itself.

pull a plug out after you have tried starting it. I'll bet it is wet. It takes fuel spark and timing to start the thing, assuming compression is ok. Low compression or out of time will cause a non-firing issue.

Well, this week our plan is to put some new gas in it (it has been sitting a long time)... and pull the plugs, we are afraid the plugs may have fouled out.

Back