starting trouble

notorious sc

I bought an 89SC 5-spd,it has 102k miles. It has a new fuel pump,crank sensor,cam sensor,and tps.The engine turns over but does not start.We have single out every possibility and their is no injector pulse. The conclusion we have is that the factory alarm doesnt allow it.The previous owner removed it. The computer does not allow us to run the scanner in it. The theft light keeps flashing.Where can I find the alarm module???

we've done that already,but no luck.The only reason why I brought it was because the car is in great shape and the interior is awesome,no cracks or worn out areas.I bought for a grand. The was not very familiar with car so he gave up trying.every bit of info would be helpfull. Thanks in advance

The stock anti-theft module, which is located in the trunk behind a vertical black panel on the left fender, disables the starting circuit. It does not cut off the injectors.
Is the IRCM applying 12 volts to the injectors?

it turns out that it is the anti-theft module,but how can I by-pass it in order for the car to start????:confused:

If you are using the ignition key to operate the starter motor, then the anti-theft module has been bypassed, at least where starting the engine is concerned, because you stated that the engine turns over. If you are operating the starter motor directly from the starter relay on the left front fender, then the anti-theft should not interfere with starting the engine.
You didn't say if the injectors have a constant 12 volts from the IRCM

You didn't say if the injectors have a constant 12 volts from the IRCM
Umm.. The power to the injectors comes from the EEC itself. The IRCM switches power to 4 things: EEC, fan motor, and A/C clutch coil. Are you sure that's what you meant? :confused:

I'd start with some simpler stuff first.. fuel pressure? Firing order correct? Tach moves when cranking ? Does the amber colored arrow on the tach go out when cranking? If the EEC isn't getting the PIP signal from the crank sensor, it would not pulse the injectors.

Umm.. The power to the injectors comes from the EEC itself. The IRCM switches power to 4 things: EEC, fan motor, and A/C clutch coil. Are you sure that's what you meant? :confused:

I'd start with some simpler stuff first.. fuel pressure? Firing order correct? Tach moves when cranking ? Does the amber colored arrow on the tach go out when cranking? If the EEC isn't getting the PIP signal from the crank sensor, it would not pulse the injectors.

I understand that power to the injectors is through the IRCM while the return is through the EEC. The EEC switches the return on and off.
I asked 'notorious sc' to check this because he said that there is no injector pulse. I know that there should be 12 volts at the injectors if the fuel pump relay works, but the car might have been rewired.

OK. Good nuff. I've never heard of that problem before. Seems a bit odd. I would not want to try to figure out what was done if it was rewired. :rolleyes:

(hijack) On the IRCM subject, there are 3 physical relays in a "normal" IRCM and I assume 1 solid state for the A/C clutch coil. Does anyone know which is which?

i get zero volts and i get zero pulse.Fuel pressure is their,new fuel pump,new crank sensor,new cam sensor,new tps,new fuel filter,harmanic balancer ok, fuel pump relay ok and all other relays that consist are good.Can a eec of a auto work on a 5-spd????:confused:Thanks alot for the info.

Did you check for 12 volts at pin 24 of the IRCM after you turned the ignition key on (no need to start the car)? This is the same as checking for 12 volts between one of the injector terminals and ground. The attached diagrams will help in finding easier locations for measuring this voltage (for example at the canister purge solenoid).
If you're still missing 12 volts, then check the fuses for the IRCM (EEC and IG COIL).

Attachments

• EEC 1.jpg
    EEC 1.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 237
  • EEC 2.jpg
    EEC 2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 207
  • EEC 3.jpg
    EEC 3.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 229
Did you ever figure it out???

I know this is old but nobody updates their post with an ending conclusion!!!!

Back