89sc Need Fuel Pump Relay Location? Part#?

stevegravesyard

Have been searching many other threads/posts and there appears to be a lot of disagreement as to location of FUEL PUMP RELAY mine is an 89. Am having a total knee replacement in less than a week and need this old SC running. It WAS a bat out of hell, then intermittently doing the whole bucking/surging/dying/sometimes restarting thing. Isolated bad fuel pump. Replaced. Then battery dead. Throws NO CODES with power, and key on(expected) . Trying first to replace relay and need to know if it's the green one in the trunk near the inertia switch. The wiring runs through the same wiring assy (#14A488) as the inertia switch. My Ford Shop Manual shows a relay assy #9345. When I took the old one up to Advance Auto they showed me a larger grey relay which they reference as the fuel pump relay. It may be, hell I don't know anymore... real close to not giving a damn... (PTSD and running out of patience). The green "relay" I pulled out has a letter "C" stamped into the side of the plastic, there are no "numbers" I can make out, but something is stamped into the edge, and it has obviously seen better days. AAAny definitive info would be very much appreciated. The other "car" (92Maxima) is down with exterior lighting GREMLINS and I need to get the bird back on the road. Thanks! Forgot to mention... Key on pump runs, go to start and the pump shuts right off.

Last edited:
Same #$%@, different day

Have been searching many other threads/posts and there appears to be a lot of disagreement as to location of FUEL PUMP RELAY mine is an 89. Am having a total knee replacement in less than a week and need this old SC running. It WAS a bat out of hell, then intermittently doing the whole bucking/surging/dying/sometimes restarting thing. Isolated bad fuel pump. Replaced. Then battery dead. Throws NO CODES with power, and key on(expected) . Trying first to replace relay and need to know if it's the green one in the trunk near the inertia switch. The wiring runs through the same wiring assy (#14A488) as the inertia switch. My Ford Shop Manual shows a relay assy #9345. When I took the old one up to Advance Auto they showed me a larger grey relay which they reference as the fuel pump relay. It may be, hell I don't know anymore... real close to not giving a damn... (PTSD and running out of patience). The green "relay" I pulled out has a letter "C" stamped into the side of the plastic, there are no "numbers" I can make out, but something is stamped into the edge, and it has obviously seen better days. AAAny definitive info would be very much appreciated. The other "car" (92Maxima) is down with exterior lighting GREMLINS and I need to get the bird back on the road. Thanks! Forgot to mention... Key on pump runs, go to start and the pump shuts right off.

Finally established the fuel pump relay is actually the one O'Reilly shows belonging on a 91SC. Threw one on, nothing different. Still need some help here. Thanks, Steve

older model it should be near the inertia switch in truck like u stated, the 94-95 models it was intergrated into the IRCM box up by the passenger headlight.

i didnt really read your post, i was just trying to answer the relay loc. question......your symptoms were simiular to some i had.....try replacing the pcm relay, my was on its way out and threw no codes but was causing major havic either trying to start and or intermittent stalling....the pcm relay for the 94+ is in the fuse panel under the hood, im not sure about the older models though....

If the relay is good but you don't get any continuous power to the fuel pump, perhaps you have a problem with the wiring on the trigger side of the relay. Or (shudder) a problem with EEC connections or the EEC itself. I don't have my wiring diagrams with me, so I don't know if the relay is switched through the EEC or not. I think it might be.

This just blew my mind !!!

:eek::eek: Thanks for your input...looked in the fuse block under the hood, and there's an empty space where the PCM/EEC relay is supposed to be!!! God only knows ( and the brainiac who did it ) how the old bird has been flying so great up until this whole pitiful chain of events started. I've had this car for about 12 years.....I'm not too sure putting an EEC relay in there at this point would be a good idea without checking it out a lot further in the daylight. Definitely a good night's sleep first is a must, then I'll check to see if I can figure out what a mess it might be in. Could it fry something??? Any electrically inclined minds want to chime in before I really gork out???

On a SC there is no EEC relay in the fuse box, it is in the IRCM. If you look carefully at the fuse box cover it will tell you that it is there in non SC birds.

TO: birds4us,OK got it...

Should have read the fine print on the box lid:eek:. EEC Relay should be in the IRCM box...gonna see If I can get to it...another question...ECA Relay Location for 89???? Can't seem to find reference to the actual location.. Took the day off from it yesterday (had to do the VA pre-op stuff for my remaining knee)......What also may be significant is the heater/ac fan started going wacko shortly before all this engine stuff....If the control switch for fan was set for hi, it would intermittently run at a lower speed...or at least it seemed like that was what it was doing... I KNOW,I KNOW as I am quickly finding out...especially with a #1SC all is USUALLY not what it seems. Thanks, Steve

TO: birds4us,OK got it...

Should have read the fine print on the box lid:eek:. EEC Relay should be in the IRCM box...gonna see If I can get to it...another question...ECA Relay Location for 89???? Can't seem to find reference to the actual location.. Took the day off from it yesterday (had to do the VA pre-op stuff for my remaining knee)......What also may be significant is the heater/ac fan started going wacko shortly before all this engine stuff....If the control switch for fan was set for hi, it would intermittently run at a lower speed...or at least it seemed like that was what it was doing... I KNOW,I KNOW as I am quickly finding out...especially with a #1SC all is USUALLY not what it seems. Thanks, Steve

Last edited:
Never Mind The Last Duplicated Stoopid Question.

LOOKED UP THE FAQ IRCM DIAGRAM POST AND IT SHOWS THE
"EEC" RELAY ACTUALLY IS "ECA" INSIDE THE BOX...SORRY SO STOOPID AND TIRED...I tried to delete the duplicated post, but I couldn't figure it out either.......LUNCHTIME:confused::eek:

Back