Cooking engine oil?

neverfastenough

Hey all, this is a wierd problem. for starters the car runs great. Engine is from SCP and has roughly 5k on it. For the past say 3000mi it has had this smell. The best way for me to describe it, is the smell of automatic tranny fluid, but kindaa burnt smell. So I take the car to a tranny shop, no leaks, just some dirty fluid, so it was flushed changed filter the whole 9 yards. Smell is still there. My next thought was that the valve cover gaskets were leaking down to the manifolds, I had a good idea this was the prob since I was the one who put the valve covers on:eek:. So I crawl under and I can see the gasket and its a bit damp, but no drips, or wet spots. Plus I change the oil every 2500 and it never loses any. I pulled the dipstick today, perfectly full, but I decided to take a wiff. It smells exactly like my problem smell.:rolleyes:
There is no smoke anywhere and I only really get a wiff of it when at a stop light. Even when the engine is cold. Im using Castrol conventional oil 5w30, I think Im gonna switch to Moble1 synthetic next change and see if it smells. Any ideas, it runs at normal temps and doesnt burn any oil.

Check to make sure the PCV valve is seated properly, as well as its tubing. Also make sure and check the tube that goes from the drivers side valve cover over to the intake tube between the MAF and TB.

If the valve cover gasket is damp, then it is probably leaking on the manifold. All it takes is a drop to smell it. The manifold just cooks the oil as fast as it falls so you wont see a leak.

Yea I was beginning to think that too, but the smell of the oil itself is odd. It smells alot like tranny fluid and burnt smell. I dont kno maybe Im overreacting but I think Ill switch oils to something a little hige grade next time.

Back