bypassing the BOO switch

madison

I have a 90 SC. I'd like to bypass the BOO switch that requires pressing on the brake pedal to allow the starter to be energized. I can't even find the thing! Lately I have had to pull up the hand brake as well to get 'er going. I'd like to rob a bank or two to buy some parts for the beast but I don't dare until I can streamline my exiting.

There's a relay next to the fuse panel under the dash that controls that. If you unplug the relay and put a jumper wire across the red/green wires you'll bypass it.

Better have someone confirm the red/green wires as I don't have access to an EVTM right now.

Personally mine is staying hooked up, as I enjoy seeing a person's frustration trying to get the car started ;).

As for the hand brake, you've got another issue electrically if that needs to be up to start the car, because that isn't included in the loop for starting.

There's a relay next to the fuse panel under the dash that controls that. If you unplug the relay and put a jumper wire across the red/green wires you'll bypass it.

Better have someone confirm the red/green wires as I don't have access to an EVTM right now.

Personally mine is staying hooked up, as I enjoy seeing a person's frustration trying to get the car started ;).

As for the hand brake, you've got another issue electrically if that needs to be up to start the car, because that isn't included in the loop for starting.

Hey thanks for the tip I'll try it!

I bypassed mine, lovin' every minute of it. It got so bad mine wouldn't start at all, I had to bypass it in the parking lot at work.

I guess they stopped putting those switches in after a couple years, because neither of my SCs requires pressing the brake pedal to start the car.

David

Is that on every year cause I don't have to press the brake on my 91 to start it.But It used to have a remote start so maybe it was already bypassed for that.

Jay

I think they where only installed on the '90 auto's. I don't even think the 89's had em.

I heard about someone getting an SC for half the cost at a used car lot because no one could get the car going... they even replaced the battery etc. He offered them half price, they said yeah, wrote up the paper work, declined the tow truck, cam back with a trip permit, hopped in the car and drove off..... guess they where a little miffed.

Last edited:
Back