Oil Cooler?

I'm sure you can pick up a used one in the classified section very cheap. Switching over to the air cooled system you posted, is going to be much more involved.

David

for whats there as far as parts, i think it's over-priced...it could have better hose,
and if you go that far, why not do the remote filter as well

Last edited:
Getting a stock-type one is a little tough. I don't think they are available from Ford anymore. It's a patented system made by Modine, so they aren't really available aftermarket. They are present on a lot of cars as OEM equipment, but to convert to one of those, you might have to put in some extra hose because the angles of the inlet and outlet are wrong.

So, you may be able to find one used, or if not, you can convert to the one like in the link. Those types are very common and not too hard to install.

check at JEGS.com - part# 259-15800B
that cooler should be more than enough, and the price seems to be in line, and it use's - screw on fitting - not the slip-on/or push-on, use a hose clamp style, which often will leak.

find some decent hose with the fitting size you'll be using.
most the kits seem to be weak in the hose and fitting's they use
and or are over priced for what you get.

for decent hose, maybe check at a semi-truck parts house if the auto-parts store does'nt have what you need -use some type of braided hose does'nt need to be stain-less

the oil cooler and hose's w/fitting will most likely be most the cost.

the adapter's -the oil cooler part im still trying to find, for remote filter adapter they are out there and range from 20-60 bucks depending on who's it is

i'll be doing this in the spring, relocating the oil filter, so i have'nt had a chance to find all that i will need

i've have done this to my small block chev and my big block 440's, makes things alot easier if you mount it in the right place

but this might help

I think Summit has an adapter for the 3.8. If not, I believe that a 5.0 one could be made to work, but I am not completely sure.

yes the adapter is available, i'll call it the block plate -where the filter was...i had'nt looked how - this cooler was hooked up / connected, looks like it screws on, then the filter screws on to that...so the hardest part of this would be where to mount, the cooler and remote filter ,so it seems :D

if put in the right spot, seems air would pass over the filter/filters, and help cool it down a touch and the filters are a little bigger than what we currently use and it's off the block...so

how much does this oil cooler part really help...and would it even still be needed or even need the cooler part ?

most the time they seem to be using a PH8 filter or something that equal to that in case you don't like fram..this size filter is all most twice the area we have now..at least it looks like it

Last edited:
Back