Record SC fuel economy......

Peterdroy66

OK, my route is Toronto to Hastings Mi, 340 miles which is really quite a flat drive with some elevation difference (Hasting MI, higher than TO).

In the past, several years ago I logged 27.2 M/US gallon in my 90' Automatic SC - this was very steady, no stops other than a SHORT border wait.

Yesterdays results in a 92' 5Spd
Toronto to Hastings, 70mph in Canada, 75-80 in the US (border is 1/2 way)
20 minute border wait
23.6 M/US gallon

Hastings to Toronto (75MPH in the US, 70 MPH in Canada)
VERY steady, no boost.
SHORT border wait - less than 2min idling
One TIM HORTONS detour 2miles coutry road
****340 miles 10.5 US gallons 32.3 M/US Gallons****

I was very careful to get the tank quite full.
I always felt my 27.2 was very high and un-beatable before yesterday!

Pete

Not bad at all, better then any of my birds. I have some "best" figures I'll list from a couple of my past/present thunderbirds. If your getting over 400 miles to a tank(newer style tank), your doing pretty good.

1993 Thunderbird LX 3.8 n/a: Never better then 26mpg in 4 years
1993 Thunderbird LX 5.0 H.O: Best of 27mpg
1989 Thunderbird SC 3.8 S/C: Best of 12.7mpg recorded, no "taking it easy" trips recorded yet, just town cruising.

Last edited:
Must be that metric speedo.

No JK. Looks good. I managed 28.5 with mine a few years ago. I figured I could do better, but don't have the patience.

Best I've gotten out of my 90 SC Auto is 26.xx going all highway. It averages around 22 mpg all around.

Better than my Audi, and much better than my 5-speed SC.

My wifes Z24 gets like 31 mph avg on the highway though, thats why we keep it around.

Nice numbers!!

I pulled 30mpg going from Cleveland to Dayton and back again once. I have no idea how it did it, as I've never gotten better than 25mpg in all the other road trips I've ever made with it.

When my drag racer was 4 years old and stock I got 29.7 from Atlanta to Daytona Beach straight interstate with 2 stops along the way and drove about 65mph. Now it gets about 21.5.

My car's been getting like 14 or 15..... It needs a tune up and an oil change really bad though and then I think it'll be alright

BUT for the dayton spring meet I squeezed 24 or 26 mpg and that was with racing and all that idling to keep the fuel pump from messing up so not too bad back then.

As soon as you accelerate hard your mileage plumates, If you stay outof boost and on the highway you will get decant to good mileage.

Back