Bet you didnt know this

scbird1

Quick question, what side of your car is your gas tank filler? If you are anything like me, you probably can't remember right away. My solution is to uncomfortably stick my head out the window, strain my neck and look. If you don't do this in your own car you definitely have done it in a borrowed or rental car.
Well ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to share with you my little secret so you will no longer look like Ace Ventura on your way to the gas station or put your neck at risk of discomfort or injury.
If you look at your gas guage, you will see a small icon of a gas pump. The handle of the gas pump will extend out on either the left or right side of the pump. If your tank filleris on the left, the handle will be on the left. If your tank filleris on the right, the handle will be on the right (see photo below). It is that simple!
I don't know how you feel right now but when I found out this morning I felt cheated!
Why don't the dealers share such importnant information with car buyers? I don't understand why this isn't in the drivers ed manual? I don't get why any mechanic I have ever been too or know has even thought of mentioning this to me? The only possible explantion can be that all these people probably don't even know themselves!

Go out and share the worlds best kept auto secret with your friends as this is information is way too important to be kept secret.

Attachments

• gas3.bmp
    104.9 KB · Views: 162
we'll see how accurate that is. I'll look at the 3 different types of cars I own next time they are all here. Right now I'm home alone for 2 weeks and I only have the S4. My SC is at the base still waiting on manny to send my friggin parts, and my wife took her car and went to VA to visit family.

Ok I just checked my E150 its not on that side but it does have a arrow that shows what side the tank is on. The bird is right

Attachments

• adsasdg.JPG
    adsasdg.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 98
Most, if not all, cars have the arrow. I liked it better when they placed the fuel filler under the rear license plate...

JD

we'll see how accurate that is. I'll look at the 3 different types of cars I own next time they are all here. Right now I'm home alone for 2 weeks and I only have the S4. My SC is at the base still waiting on manny to send my friggin parts, and my wife took her car and went to VA to visit family.

I'm waiting on manny parts to :confused:

My 96 Park Avenue is not right. I was on my way to work one morning and the radio DJ made that comment. While the next song played, he must have gotten calls off the hook from other people listening and checking their own cars. When he came back on he revoked his statement.

i've noticed that if there isnt an arrow, it depends on where the gas gauge is in the cluster (right side in cluster, ride side of car and vise versa).

this doesnt pertain to an SC tho, cuz its in the middle.:D

I"ll have to check on my Subaru and Chevy truck.....

The Subaru is on the same side as the SC and that makes it easy.....

When I am in the truck, I have to make sure that I pull into the pumps on the drivers side......

I figured it was more for safety, as you don't have to open your door into any incoming traffic at the pump......:confused:

My work van has the pump handle on the passenger side while the fill is on the driver's side. Although the pump icon is on the same side as the fill (driver's).
Mike

this is funny because i do that all the time - the Ace Ventura trick

i'll have to check

The Corolla has an arrow....

And I'm starting to see a trend thats going to lead to Manny bashing :(, then we'll lose another good person.

How do you tell which tank is which one you need to fill when there is a filler on each side?:confused: I had an older chev truck that had a filler on both sides and it didnt have hose symbols on both sides of the pump. I never knew where to put the gas.

The handle is on the left but the gas cap is on the right

See Ford is not the only one thats a little backwards:rolleyes: im sure there will be exceptions to this rule but it does beat taking a guess if your in a borrowed car or truck.

Most, if not all, cars have the arrow. I liked it better when they placed the fuel filler under the rear license plate...

JD

Now here is an old school guy. I remember when some cars had the gas filler behind the license plate...I've owned one or two of those cars but I'll be dammed if I can remember what they were.

Last edited:
They were cars from the 60`s 70`s and a few 80`s Like the montecarlo GP`s
Fold down the lisence plate and fill er up.

Back