New 4R70W electronic controller!

92bird

Has anyone seen this yet?

http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/content-4.html

tcu1.jpg

Discuss! Perhaps a better solution than the Baummenator TCS?

Jeramie

Looks cool, but forgive my ignorance... What does this allow us to do that the newest tuner software doesn't/can't other than give us a complete stand-alone unit?

It would allow a person to put a 4R70W in a 89-93 SC, and fully control it. :D

Paddle shifting, speedo correction for any gear ratio/tire combo, and up to 3 different shifting strategies at the push of a button just to name a few features.

Well this is encouraging
4 frequency inputs (Engine Speed, TC Speed, Driveshaft speed, additional speed)
However, after my Baumannator experience, there's no way I would ever be the guinea pig for this.

I have actually heard some good things about that system but the users had GM transmissions. The cost has come down quite a bit. I know a guy who paid about $1300 for one. I'm beginning to think the easiest way to do a 4r70w is with a manual valvebody. At some level the stock pcm cannot even keep up.
Alan

Could you elaborate? I've always wondered how that controller worked. Thanks.
Do a search for Baumannator on this site and you will find all kinds of information.

The very short answer is, "The Baumannator will NOT work on a Super Coupe".

In otherwords...People have had issues around these parts. Keep in mind the 94-95 transmissions are junk to begin with

Kurt, does anything work on your transmissions? :eek:
For the record, the only part I had to do with the Baumannator and the multi-rebuilt 4r70w was writing the check. I never did any of the work on that transmission debacle and yet it still failed. At this point, I'd almost be willing to pay someone a bonus if my transmission could survive 2 seasons. And I don't mean racing every weekend seasons. This transmission didn't even make it through one pass at the track.

For the record, the only part I had to do with the Baumannator and the multi-rebuilt 4r70w was writing the check. I never did any of the work on that transmission debacle and yet it still failed. At this point, I'd almost be willing to pay someone a bonus if my transmission could survive 2 seasons. And I don't mean racing every weekend seasons. This transmission didn't even make it through one pass at the track.

I was joshing with ya, I know it's not your fault, just seems that if its transmission related on your car it doesn't work. :D

I was joshing with ya, I know it's not your fault, just seems that if its transmission related on your car it doesn't work. :D
I know, but I am completely disgusted with my transmissions and their excessively short life spans.

At this point, I'd almost be willing to pay someone a bonus if my transmission could survive 2 seasons. And I don't mean racing every weekend seasons. This transmission didn't even make it through one pass at the track.

Kurt,

I'll rebuild your transmission for you. I know where I can get some super strong rubber bands that should last up to 100K. Oh, that is what they use for the bands, correct?

Kurt get a later model mustang 3.8 tranny and work from there..The 94/95 case is junk no matter how you slice and rebuild it..

I'm pretty sure I know whats wrong with Kurt's this time and it really is a minor deal. I think I put the sprag assembly in the converter upside down. Most types you can't even do it but the aftermarket unit in his is very easy to do that. It literally is the same on both sides. Just another one of the reason I really prefer to do transmissions when I have the entire car. I could have found that issue and fixed it easily without throwing the job too far off schedule.
Alan

In my wifes 94 I have the 4r70w now what should I do or get to rebuild it bullet proff as the motor I'm putting in it will be extremly powerfull!!:eek: I have a friend who will rebuild it for me no problem.

Back