Cheapest way to 300hp?

phycobob

At the crank, not the wheels. For a completely stock SC, what would you want to do to get there for as cheap as possible? My friend is thinking about an SC and wanted to know. Gave him a few suggestions, but wanted to get everyone elses take on it.

heheh....

Ok, so maybe I should have been a little more specific...Nitrous anything and you will have the hp you want, untill you explode in a firey pile of gelatious goo! heheh...really though, continious hp from the engine, how to do it for the lowest price? I looked into your suggestion 92_Coupe...MAGNUM POWERS! = EXPENSIVE! 80hp for $2700? Come on now...there has to be a more cost effective way...

Charlie Must have given me a special deal because i didn't pay that much ! and it was worth every penny !!!!!!! i did have to put in 42lb injectors and 80mm mafs along with a fred eec tune up but it sure runs nice big difference from the stock form that i have been driving the past ten years.

Last edited:
I bet it is nice!

I'm quite sure my friend would love to have your setup, as would I...but, alas...he sells cell phones. :) So like I was saying...what is the most cost effective way of getting there? Heres what I suggested so far for him...

Exhaust (port ring on manifold, gut cats, new resonator, 3 1/2" pipe back) $400 20HP
10% Blower Overdrive $60 15HP
70mm MAF $30 5HP
Intercooler Fan $70 5HP
Fresh-Air Intake $90 10HP
Underdrive Pulleys $150 15HP
SC Top $250 10HP
75mm TB $175 10HP

Totals $1225 90HP

Does that sound about right?

Exhaust: No need for 3.5" pipe, thats wayyy to big
70mm MAF: Doubt you will get a horsepower increase, or else FORD would have stated it when they implemented the larger MAF
Intercooler fan: No hp gains have been proven yet
75mm tb: Too big for his use, and it won't be used effectively as it is the biggest part at the end of a restrictive intake. It will never allow its full potential. Just get a 70mm one

I would say you will get 50hp from all of that

Well first of all the MAF, CAI, and the TB will probably give maybe 15HP - 17HP combined, not 25 like you listed.

I don't think anyone has evey had any success in getting some HP gains on the IC fan mod because you always dyno the car when it's cool and you have the huge shop fan running. So take away that 5HP

Not sure about 15HP from a 10% pulley ......but not likely.

Underdrive pulleys - 10 - 12HP

Exhaust...okay maybe

Raised top - i agree

Soooooooo that's about 65HP

Your missing the big picture here, over the years i did just what you described, and it was ok but not GOOD ! after some research on blowers and that is why we own super coupes, i found that ford set this up so it would be dependable but slightly detuned. blowers will make an engine come alive it you do two main things, that is let them breath and let the exaust out. 94 and 95 blowers are better but still very restricted flow not as bad as the 89-93 models. blowers need a large straigth path for intake because they push air better than they can suck it in. magnum powers opens this up so it exposes the rotors to the manifold and in turn means you have a blower that workes very efficent. the raw power that comes from this system is mind blowing and when you start to add port work to the heads and cam that delivers bigger fuel charge the power figures get very close to 440 h/p when you have your blower working at 100% everything else you do is that much better.

Your missing the big picture here

I think you are missing the point of the thread. No one will dispute the huge gain in HP from an inlet plenum from MP, or a ported blower, or ported heads, or a better cam...........but those things are very expensive and as the title of the thread says "cheapest way to 300HP"

The guys sells cell phones damn it, he's not Bill Gates!!:D

tazer is right 70mm t/b is max on a stock 65mm manifold and your center pipe should be 3 inches, i put on a new bbk 70mm and was not really impressed, two days later i sent my blower to M/P and got back his port matched induction system, now im impressed with what i have and how it works. i have a stock 70mm mafs and new 70mm bbk for sale and a stock manifold if you want to try and port it but it will never work like the m/p system.

I understand, but...

All he asked was "whats the cheapest way to get 300hp out of an SC?" Was just tryin to help my friend out. In my opinion, I would go with magnum powers too for stuff like the plenum, TB, and maybe a MPII blower. I have really no add ons myself, but when my HG blew I had quite a bit of port work done on the heads, and someone told me that gives anywhere from 50-60hp extra over stock. Of course, I paid $2400 for all the work, so obviously not as cost effective. Maybe when I finally get a new exhaust it will put ME at the 300hp mark...hmmm...I probably should have had the cam reground while I was at it...oh well. Thanks for the input guys...I'll give him the info tommorow.

300 hp

do u have to have 300 hp if what u really want is speed id do exhaust shift kit (auto) gears 3:55 for a 5 speed 3:73 for an auto cai and o/d pulley just my .02 i think thats how im going to do my sc

scmaniac: An intake, exhaust, and a blower pulley isn't going to get him to 300hp. It might give him 25 hp, but not 90

tazer...

Seeing as you have a 90 sc, we have the crappy exhaust with no chance of duals. Get some nice 2.25 inch downtubes made going into a dual in 2.5" resonator, 3" out that then slits out into dual 2.5" again going into your mufflers of choice.

Now that your exhaust is covered, throw in an upgraded fuel pump (190lph for $83, or 255 for $90). Next, an upgraded MAF. ($30 from 91+, $110 for 73mm, or $140 for 76mm). After that, throttle body (prolly just a 70mm). Finish off the intake with a zr or mac cai for around $170.

Now that the intake, exhaust, and fuel pump is done, throw on a 10% sc overdrive pulley for $60, then a raised sc top ($200) and intercooler fan ($60). Underdrive pulleys are next at $150.

You should easily be at 300hp by now at the crank, but if you want to keep going, get a 180 degree tstat ($6), larger injectors (38#'s for $290), port/polish heads ($400), a jerry chip/tune, and maybe some headers.

If ya really want to get frisky, send off your blower to get it ported

Remember these words??

Why are you telling Tazer this? He already has all of those things that you mentioned. Once again the thread is "cheapest way to 300 HP"

The stuff that you mentioned, exhaust, intake, 10% pulley will not get to 300HP.

esco90sc: I remember that yes, whats your point? A well done exhaust, overdrive pulley, raised top, underdrive pulleys, maf, tb, intake will get you 300hp on a properly tuned car. It has happened before a few times, so it can happen again

Last edited:
Back