very strange clutch problem

ollmann

alright here is the deal I went down the interstate at fare speed a couple of days ago and when I got off the interstate the clutch went away....now what I mean is I let the clutch out and the car can move but only if on absolute flat ground and won't go much faster than about 20. when I left town the clutch was working perfectly I was even chirping the tires on the way out. I heard some sort of noise while in the offramp. I have checked to see if it is a broken half shaft...and I have looked in the access port and everything looks as is should. It is almost like the slave cylinder is only alowing a few pounds of pressure. I loosened the bleed valve and nothing came out so I would have to say its like there is something physically not letting the slave reset. and yes it was dry in there no signs of oil. Any ideas? I guess the thing is going back to gainesville next weekend so I can work on it. well going back on a trailer...and I finally got the motor going again...

Thanks

Chris

You might have just eaten the clutch, or there is binding on the slave cylinder not allowing it to go all the way back.

The slave cylinder doesn't put force on the pressure plate to engage the clutch, it puts pressure on the pressure plate to Release the clutch. So the slave would have to be stuck out and not returning all the way back, allowing the clutch disk to slip. Try looking into the access hole again and use a large screwdriver and press the slave back. be careful.

Jeff

I think the possibility of it being the through out bearing are probably pretty high. I have tried jabbing the clutch about 1000 times it doesn't seem to help I am going to get a crow bar and get under it in the next few days and see if I can't pry the through out bearing back. the fluid level seems good. And yes you are correct my brother had the cougar..I thank you for your thoughts...

Chris

It can't be the throwout bearing. Not possible.

Clutch plate is toast, pressure plate is bad, binding in the slave cylinder not allowing the pressure plate to engage fully. Those are about your only things that will cause this.

Your clutch is partially released or toast, that’s it.

Jeff

Back