Cam position sensor?

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
If your cam position sensor stalk is in wrong will it make your car gutless and have no balls untill 4000rpm or so???? Im beginning to wonder if i did it wrong...... I've heard that it doesent make much diffrence but i wonder if it does????? It acts like its out of time everytime you start it.... Also i swaped a known good sensor in and it still is the same... (thanks matt for the sensor loan) According to my timming light my timming is dead on..... I almost couldnt pass a ricer civic the other night!!! Was going to fast for 2nd gear and it dropped into 3rd and untill i got to 4000rpm i was just staying at his door...after 4k i left him sitting....

I had the same problem on a 94 I had but It was my fault. I was messing around and decided to do some porting on a set of heads I had from a blown motor. I first did gasket matching on intake and exhaust. Didnt know much about porting at this point. Then I went crazy as I just got some new carbide cutting bits. I made them flow all right. It ran flawless at idle or high rpm`s but my low end tq was gone. They were installed on a 94 that needed a rebuild and I had found a set of heads as mine were cracked from plug to plug. The set I bought for someone here were cracked as well and I needed to get my project done so I returned the heads and used the set I had. I knew right away these were not prepaired right. Next time Dave D. will get my heads;). Hope this is not your problem also.

Did you gasket match the exhaust side? I have been told not to touch the exhaust side by other members. Hope its something simple as a dirty maf or something.

If the cam position sycro stalk is installed incorrectly it will run like crap. The direction the stalk faces relative to the motor is not important (just for belt clearance). The position of the sensor relative to the vane relative to the crank position is very important. Using the plastic cap installation tool holds the vane in the correct position when stabbing the stalk.

David

You don't really need the tool. You can line things up pretty well with your initial stab. Then fine tune it with a razor blade, or straight edge to center the half circle across the center of the notch.

I was thinking your cam stalk wasn't aligned right. My friend put his car back together and it wouldn't even run. He had the thing 180 degrees out of time. We towed it to the dealership and the one guy who knows SC engines got to playing with it and figured it out. It ran damn strong after we got the timing right. :D

Back