TA blocks. (not sure if anyone has talked to them before)

white95v6

well i talked to TA. and the price is high and the block count is high.

4500-5000 for the first go around(depends on how many we buy at first)

and we need 25 to get it started.

4'' bore and all aluminum and 4 bolt mains good to 1600plus hp.

well i talked to TA. and the price is high and the block count is high.

4500-5000 for the first go around(depends on how many we buy at first)

and we need 25 to get it started.

4'' bore and all aluminum and 4 bolt mains good to 1600plus hp.

Matt,

I always thought the heads (too thin on the deck) were the limiting factor. Are people failing the existing blocks ?

David

A block, by itself is worth horsepower in a few aspects.

Aluminum blocks are all sleeved, which creates a much straighter cylinder with more involved capillary action. Since it's aluminum, which is weaker than cast iron, more material can be added to strengthen the block without making it obnoxiously heavy. This adds to the effect of keeping a cylinder in round. The straighter the cylinder and the less it expands, the tighter piston-to-wall you can run. This translates into a much better ring seal and gained overall cylinder pressures.

Most importantly, a larger bore will be available. Bore has a huge effect of how a cylinder head flows. With a factory SC head, you will gain within the vicinity of 8-15cfm. Bore size also allows for more RPM to be dealt with. RPM is equally significant to gained HP at a higher RPM.

If anyone is scared to use a factory block, filling it will solve your worries to a certain point. Otherwise, an aftermarket block with a larger bore has many advantages over durability.

well let me say we talked about a 4'' bore. not set in stone.

also the heads have been tossed around too around here and other sites. soo maybe heads and a block.

well let me say we talked about a 4'' bore. not set in stone.

also the heads have been tossed around too around here and other sites. soo maybe heads and a block.

Matt,

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your new combo with the 76GTS...if you pull 750 rwhp without lifting the heads I'll stop worrying about them.

David

PS: Have you considered using a NASCAR 4.5 v6 motor instead of new block and heads. ?

well David with the 750rwhp thing i doubt it. that c4 eats alot of hp.

also the 4.5L gets away form the 3.8/4.2L stuff.

and like david said new heads and block more head bolts maybe.

Matt,

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your new combo with the 76GTS...if you pull 750 rwhp without lifting the heads I'll stop worrying about them.

David

PS: Have you considered using a NASCAR 4.5 v6 motor instead of new block and heads. ?

I think lifting the heads will be less likely as an aluminum block will expand at the same rate as our aluminum heads.

Like David said, I am not so worried about the block as I am the heads. I have seen a LOT of cracked 3.8L heads in my life. NOT ONE cracked block. Several rotted out core plugs, but never a cracked block.

Casey, I believe it was Merlin who advertised(s) that their blocks make a minimum of 20 HP at the wheels with their blocks. They advertise a different oiling passage and a few other things, but I know that what you posted is completely true.

Chris

Any updates on this project?

It would seem a 4.5 would be more cost effective.
But They are about as hard to find as a getting
a new aluminum block built.

Thanks Randy

man i wish there was Randy. just no way we can get the ball rolling without a large chunk of change.

its kinda like the whole head thing all over again.

its Something we realy need and it costs alot of money to get it going.

If anyone is scared to use a factory block, filling it will solve your worries to a certain point. Otherwise, an aftermarket block with a larger bore has many advantages over durability.

at what point do we start to address Main Cap walk. no girdle in the work will stop it. it may help minimize it. but at some of the levels we are at now its still happenen i would assume.

On NA v8 cars, its +/- 400HP that you have main walk. I am not sure where it will occour on the boosted cars...espically 6ers.

Chris

On NA v8 cars, its +/- 400HP that you have main walk. I am not sure where it will occour on the boosted cars...espically 6ers.

Chris

yea thats old news.

we are talking about ford 3.8 or 4.2L blocks.

SC or NA blocks. at some point we are gonna find out real soon when our blocks just won't take it anymore.

and i am talking about a block that has no filler. just some arp studs and a girdle. we have been pushing the limits for yrs now. soo its only a matter of time untill one lets go.

Back