Another rear suspension question.

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
I've got the rear axles pulled no problem but I've decided I want to remove both the hubs and the rear shocks. It looks like the spring will want to pop out with both of those removed, maybe dangerously. Is that indeed going to be a problem?

You'll need to place a jack under the lower control arm, and slowly release the spring pressure after removing the shock.

-Rod

You may then have a problem getting the new spring (or even the same spring) back in due to the angle of the lower control arm compared to the upper spring perch. So don't let it pop out of place. The Ford Manual recommends using spring cages which basically hold the spring partially compressed so it does not extend fully when you release the pressure from it and upon reinstalling it so it is shorter and you can get it all to line up. There is not a lot of room to use a spring compressor in that area. Might want to check your local dealer to see if you can borrow a set if in fact you do want to change springs at the same time.. Could make the job easier.

Also do NOT retorque any suspension joints that have bushings associated with them if the car is not at normal ride height and the suspension is loaded. You will get bushing windup otherwise.

No, the springs arent going anywhere. You need to really push the control arm down pretty far to actually take them out - especially if you have the earlier style upper spring perch. So they arent going to fly out if you unbolt the shocks, sway bar, knuckles, etc. And you mean the knuckles as a unit, not the hubs, right ?

- Dan

Yes, That whole assembly that holds the brake rotor and caliper that the wheel bolts to is what I'm refering to. I've already had it out once to remove the halfshafts and have the 3 bolts and nuts just snugged up holding it in place. I'll leave the sway bar in place.

No, the springs arent going anywhere. You need to really push the control arm down pretty far to actually take them out - especially if you have the earlier style upper spring perch. So they arent going to fly out if you unbolt the shocks, sway bar, knuckles, etc. And you mean the knuckles as a unit, not the hubs, right ?

- Dan

You're braver than I am. There's no way in hell I'd remove the shocks and knuckles without securing the lower control arm. Since I've never actually done it, I can't say for a fact that the springs will fly out, but there's absolutely nothing preventing them from doing so.

Ive done it plenty of times, more than most people here on the boards. :cool:

The length of the stock springs and the upper perch hold the springs from going anywhere, you have to really push the lower control arm down with your weight to get the springs out.

I wouldnt attempt it on my Chevy .. those springs will shoot out without the LCA being secured .. yes I have had springs hit me and it hurts. :eek:

- Dan

Back