Repair it or what - rusty 90 SC

ronl@ihsnet.com

What should I do? I just picked up a 90 SC T-Bird. It's rusty, real rusty.
It has a supercharged V6 and about 105k miles on it.
The inside is nice, there is no rust visible in the trunk.
The wipers act funny, don't park right, and tend to stay half way up.
The paint is shot. Fog lights don't work, or the AC.
The drivers rocker panel is gone, so is the bottom of the drivers fender.
There are rust patches on the driver side Q panel. The drivers door sags bad. The passenger fender is pretty banged up. One taillight needs replaced. It needs a cam sensor - real hard to start - 3 or 4 tries, and it stalls until it gets warm, then it runs pretty good.
Front bumper is there - but pretty rough. Wouldn't start once, put a new starter relay in it, still didn't start, gave it to my mechanic. He cleaned the starter terminals and it starts, then he said "maybe you don't want to spend a lot on this car, it's pretty rusty".

I can't really afford to put a fortune in it, but I like the car. Got it for cheap, and have about 10 months before the inspection runs out.
I'm pretty handy with cars - like to work on them - have a garage.

So what do I do? Sell it, part it out, park it hoping to win the lottery?
Should I look for a plain jane T-Bird and swap parts?
I'm located in Western PA. I know these are sweet cars, and I like how it rides . . . but it seems to be a bit much for me considering everything. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Ron
11-29-07 / AM

Last edited:
is this going to be a racecar or a DD? are you planning on keeping it for a while?

if you were to keep it:

- replace rotted panels with some cut off of another rust free mn12
-might as well replace the rear subframe arms, they're probably shot too.
- fix the little stuff like wipers, replace door hinges, etc.
- its up to you if you want to paint, but get a quick maaco job and wetsand yourself...

all in all you're gonna put a few grand into it, but you'll have a nicer car, that you may keep for a few years :)

Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input.
It's not a race car - with 4 kids - I can't do toys yet.
Not a DD either - for long trips I'll use my Topaz.

. . . replace the rear subframe arms, they're probably shot too.
Is that what's klunking around back there? Are they weld in or bolt in?

Paint and body work isn't so much a problem. If I keep it, I'll do the bodywork, maybe even paint it myself ( I've done some before ).

All I'm wondering if it should be kept by me or someone, or if it's too far gone. Your input is much appreciated. Thank you much!

Last edited:
What should I do? I just picked up a 90 SC T-Bird. It's rusty, real rusty.
It has a supercharged V6 and about 105k miles on it.
The inside is nice, there is no rust visible in the trunk.

That's a good thing. My old 89 had a bunch of rust on top of the shock towers from a mystery water leak.

The wipers act funny, don't park right, and tend to stay half way up.

Need a new wiper motor.

The paint is shot. Fog lights don't work, or the AC.

My AC doesn't either. They wear out. The foglights may just have burned out bulbs. Worth a try, but I think you have to remove the foglights to get to the bulbs.

The drivers rocker panel is gone, so is the bottom of the drivers fender.
There are rust patches on the driver side Q panel. The drivers door sags bad.

New hinge pins and bushings should fix the door, unless the bushings broke apart and the hole in the hinge has worn oversize.

The passenger fender is pretty banged up. One taillight needs replaced. It needs a cam sensor - real hard to start - 3 or 4 tries, and it stalls until it gets warm, then it runs pretty good.

Pretty easy fix, but you need to be careful how you align it. There is a special tool.

Front bumper is there - but pretty rough.

Used bumper should be pretty easy to come by, although maybe not in the color you want.

Wouldn't start once, put a new starter relay in it, still didn't start, gave it to my mechanic. He cleaned the starter terminals and it starts, then he said "maybe you don't want to spend a lot on this car, it's pretty rusty".

I can't really afford to put a fortune in it, but I like the car. Got it for cheap, and have about 10 months before the inspection runs out.
I'm pretty handy with cars - like to work on them - have a garage.

So what do I do? Sell it, part it out, park it hoping to win the lottery?
Should I look for a plain jane T-Bird and swap parts?
I'm located in Western PA. I know these are sweet cars, and I like how it rides . . . but it seems to be a bit much for me considering everything. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Ron
11-29-07 / AM

The bodywork is really the tough thing. You probably will not get much if you sell it, and not too much more if you part it out. I don't know, it's really up to you. It is a fun car, but you may need to put a lot of money in due to its age. Suspension parts may need refreshed soon (yes, I know about PA roads).

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

BTW, if you are interested in a 1993 5.0 Thunderbird with a few rust problems, but mechanically good, send me a PM. It's my brother's - the car is in Beaver County.

whats clunking could be a few things... differential carrier bushings, control arm bushings, subframe bushings.... etc... check everything over... if you have questions, take pics and we'll be glad to help :)

Thanks everyone for the replys!

I'm so glad I joined SCCoA!
Are the rea sub frame arms weld or bolt on?

The clunking - seem to hear it when I get off the gas and back on,
and when going around corners sometimes at low speeds).
U joints maybe? I looked at the exhaust system to see if anything was loose or rusted away,
it seems to be in pretty good shape (original).

I'm not afraid of the body work - but I can't weld the rockers on.
I'll read up on the wiper motor, and look close at the door hinge & bushings.
I'll read up on the fog lights too . . bought a Hayes manual, kind of disappointed, would have liked to see more detail, less how to use body putty . . . seems they get weaker every time I buy one.

We had about 3 inches of rain over the last 2 days - found water on the passenger floor mat! Windshield gasket leak maybe?

Quick story. I’ve had 4 Topaz / Tempo’s . . . one Tempo I bought new, and 3 Grand Marquis / Crown Vic’s. Once I bought the manuals . . . . I keep pulling the good parts and putting them on the next one. Daughters used the big Merc’s to start driving in. Got hit from behind by a Cavalier. Dented the rear bumper. Left parts of the Cav all over the highway. I have a bad habit of buying the same car over and over. I figure once you learn about a car stick with it.. 4 kids driving my cars . . . but they are not allowed to drive this one ( well, maybe my son once and a while).

And YES - I would like to talk to your Bro in Beaver . . . a little rust isn’t a problem. If the price is good maybe i can talk the wife into it. She likes this car except for the hard starting.

Really everyone, thanks . . . I keep seeing people with 2-4-more SC’s or RX-7’s . . . that really adds to my comfort level. I’m getting more comfortable with this jewel.

:)

Attachments

• 90TbirdSC_Rons.jpg
    90TbirdSC_Rons.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
That's two ...

That's 2 recommendations to find a good rust free southern car!

I’m tempted . . .I like the car - it’s ride and performance, it’s a shame our northern winters are so hard on car bodies. Nobody takes better car of their car than me, and I can’t seem to keep even a brand new car more than 10 years before the floor pans start rusting away.

There is a really nice one in Mississippi . . . if I could just talk the wife into the money

When I grow up - I’m moving south!

Thanks again.

Ron

Attachments

• 90TbirdSC_2days.jpg
    90TbirdSC_2days.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 118
That's 2 recommendations to find a good rust free southern car!

I’m tempted . . .I like the car - it’s ride and performance, it’s a shame our northern winters are so hard on car bodies. Nobody takes better car of their car than me, and I can’t seem to keep even a brand new car more than 10 years before the floor pans start rusting away.

There is a really nice one in Mississippi . . . if I could just talk the wife into the money

When I grow up - I’m moving south!

Thanks again.

Ron

Hello Ron, welcome. Here I thought nobody took care of their cars better then me, but guess I was wrong:)! For the slow cranking problem, I would replace both battery cables and see if that helps you out. Ground cable bolts to the driver side engine mount, positive to the starter solenoid. replacing the wire from the solenoid to the starter may be the fix as well but a little more expensive and time consuming.

Last edited:
We had about 3 inches of rain over the last 2 days - found water on the passenger floor mat! Windshield gasket leak maybe?

Chances are that it came through the air vent, especially if you park with the right side lower. Ford eventually made a part that corrected the problem - it's like a little deflector that wraps around the air intake under the cowl. You could probably rig something up easily.

Also, the rear subframe arms are bolt on. However, some people have found that the nuts have rusted to the bolts and can break away from the frame, and they had to cut a hole in the floor pan to weld new ones on. Just a caution.

Rust is like Cancer and it seems that body needs a thorough going over. So why not just fix the real problems (which seem minor) and make it a driver. If somewhere down the line you have the money to buy a nicer example do so.

My advice

If it has the leaking passenger side, check the integrity of the floor pan on both sides. I had a good bit of cancer on my 90 under the carpet. Driver's seat was a rocking chair...support brace was rusted through.

Rust does stink. I am tempted to go to WyoTech and learn some bodywork, because that is one car area that I have no skills in.

Thank you all so much

Chris,

I loved that 1st Topaz I bought new in 1990, kept it until this summer. Rubed it out until the primer was showing. Had the nicest red paint . . . till the rust started showing. Maybe I'm not the best at taking car of my cars in the whole world, but I do make them last. Call it frugal, cheap or wise . . . I figure when the wheels fall off, put 'em back on and drive it some more !

If I had the money I'd get that one in Mississippi. And it would be a blast to drive home too I bet.

I'll check the floor boards and the rear subframe and suspension when it gets warmer. It's gonna snow for a few days. I'll start parking with the driver side lower to see if that stops the water on the floor mat - but that sounds reasonable. The battery wires ? Hmmmmm - he cleaned the ends at the starter and the car started . . . I'll check that.

I'm thinking . . . . make it run right - drive the crap out of it until the sticker expires . . . pick up another T-bird.

I got to show you all this photo from last Sunday . . . .Don't yell . . . the paint on the roof is shot anyway. And thank you all so much for the input!

Attachments

• T_Bird_Tree.jpg
    T_Bird_Tree.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 117
I'll make it 3.. I bought what I thought would be a bargain with just 90000 miles on it... whew.. turned out to be a ragged out POS. I've spent as much on fixing it up as I would have just buying a good condition one to begin with.

The big saving grace on my Red car however, turned out to be probably the most important.. straight sheet metal.. and rust free. It is running so well now that its actually a pleasure to drive but its still going to take another $2000-$3000 to get it into what I consider suitable condition. :D
When its all done, I will have put probably $5000 into my $500 car. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: But, its simply something that must be done. :cool:

Get the good car if you want a driver.

thanks for the input dallas

That's it . . . .I'm gonna just drive it, enjoy it, and look for another one.
I have an outrageous car in the garage . . . needs some work but will be worth holding on to. It was my Dad's. . . I bought it when he passed away.
It's never going to be a driver, and I love the T-Bird. Here is a link if you want to see: http://69.95.185.223/mbz/
Funny thing is - the T-Bird has a lot in common with the one in the garage: 2 doors, IRS, powerful brakes, a sweet interior and plenty of power. They both are easy to spend too much money on too . . . what a cruel fate!

So I'll get another one . . . swap parts, maybe give what I don't need to other T-Bird owners for extra cheap. Get one that I can drive and enjoy.
Bought a manual so I can do some work myself, and hope I have the cash when another comes up for sale that's more what I want. Maybe a V6 LX so it gets better mileage. This way I can drive it a lot. People in SWPA that need parts, send me an email, I'll hang on to your address. If anyone has a decent one for sale in SWPA, please let me know.

Merry Christmas . . . Happy Holidays to all.

Back