Belt tensioner information.

SC Spyder

Apparently, I'm an idiot and too stupid to realize it.

I've rebuilt my 93 SC tensioners being very careful (I thought) to note how they came apart and put the pieces for each in thier own seperate bag. What I didn't do was to mark all the pieces and the orientation so each whould go back with it's mate and properly clocked.

Well, after putting them together only then did I realize my error as they don't seem to line up correctly. I'm speculating that I mixed the bases up.

Can someone please take some photos for me? I would need to see each tensioner front and back with its part number, the orientation of the base relative to the mating part and with location on the engine.

I followed the Magnum powers piece about loading the spring 1/4 turn so that much I got right.

HELP!!! Please.

Doug

Not all tensioner springs are the same.

I figured out what happened!

I had ordered new tensioner springs and it turns out that two are wound one way and the third is wound the other! If you don't notice this, it places the base 180 degrees out so when you apply the preload, it dosn't align as it should. Then you assume you got the castings mixed up and start switching bases and everything get screwed up.

So ... what have I learned .... examine the replacement parts carefully and take lots of photos.

Good luck!

Doug

hey glad you figured that out. I just read your members page, that a pretty neat project you have started. I know it is a replica, but what kind of car was it originally?

Complete custom

The Spyder is not a modified production car.

The chassis is a purpose built tubular space frame. It uses mustang II front suspension and rear axle. It is sprung with coil overs on all four corners and the rear axle is located with 4 bar and a panard bar. All the pivot points are either heims joints or poly bushings.

The body is hand laid fiberglass and core-matt and uses a Fiat 124 windshield, roof frame (the roof is custom hartz cloth), inner door mechanisms and seats. The front bumper is MGB as is the trunk lid and tail lights and the rear bumper is VW Karman Ghia.

I origonally built the car with a 351w/c4 and was capable of high 13 second/mid 90 mph 1/4 mile times.

I'm expecting better performance with the SC engine/AOD with the torque being delievered so low and a set of 3:55's.

Back