AHH the joys of ownership!

Airtractr

I hadn't driven the SC all weekend so last night I took her for a romp in the country. I have about 1100 miles on the S&S longblock and for all indications it runs great and I am enjoying my Bird again....until I got 1 mile from home. As I said I took her for a quick back country romp...rarely below 90 mph and at times up to 130mph. I heard a strange noise at my last turn home and then the sound of a large part departing. Somehow the crank pulley sheared all the atach bolts off at the head. To make it even more challenging, the bolts are broken in 3 pieces in the BHJ balancer. Sheared at the head then deeper in the balancer its self. Challenges chalenges challenges, all I can say is I am inordinately lucky it was at 20 mph a mile from home not at 130mph and 40 miles from home.:rolleyes:

Do you know if a -0- ballanced pully was used? As long as the ballancer itself was still on the crank it should still run for the last mile to get you home. Im on my tenth SC and not one has ever left me stranded but I can tell you that I have just made it home with a couple of them mostly over heating. I pull up in the drive way, turn it off and poof the steem rolls out and my wife looks out the door and says (oh my god not another one):D the last one was missing the whole front end. Looked like the car from animal house that said eat me on it.

You have a BHJ balancer or stock? On my car when I went to the BHJ I had to get shorter bolts for the crank pulley. I didn't think about it till I already had my car running but I didn't use hardend bolts, so I may think about doing that now. Is it possible that the crank pulley bolts were not tight on yours?

btw, sounds like a fun ride for sure. Wherever you are, must be some fun roads to drive on.

Last edited:
I suspect my stock crank bolts were a tad too long as I can feel them bottoming out with my fingers thus leading to the failure. I will replace them with grade 8 or AN hardware. I will also need to replace the crank pulley and am debating on going to an aluminum one from Victor. The car ran fine the last mile home just no assist on the steering and the rest of the acessories.
Texas is a big state and there are many roads to have a romp on, just need to mind traffic and road conditions. The most dangerous risks are deer where I am.

Anyone have info on the correct size bolts for the pulley once a BHJ is on? Ijust ordered my BHJ from Victor and I'll be getting one of the zero balance pulleys before I get it running.

Back