Just did the hub & brake swap...

Mercutio

SCCoA Member
Just added Focus RS front calipers, Cobra front and rear rotors, braided stainless hoses, SN95 hubs and gunmetal 10th anny Cobra wheels to my 95...WOW. It's just a slight improvement over the stock brakes. I'll post pics in the morning. And thanks to Fast Ed for the rear caliper brackets!

Just added Focus RS front calipers, Cobra front and rear rotors, braided stainless hoses, SN95 hubs and gunmetal 10th anny Cobra wheels to my 95...WOW. It's just a slight improvement over the stock brakes. I'll post pics in the morning. And thanks to Fast Ed for the rear caliper brackets!

How much vaccum are you pulling? You have a cam there. My brakes came back to life after going to a mild cam.

Those cobra rims were the ones I wanted to originally put on my car but went with teh 99 style instead..Still think the gunmetal and teal would look liek a good combo..Show some pics!

Focus RS calipers are the same size as the 2000 Cobra R calipers ... four piston Brembos. Silver finish rather than black, I believe.

Glad to hear the rear caliper brackets worked out OK for you.

cheers
Ed N.

I'm pulling 13 inches of vacuum at idle. I'm sure I'd have better braking with a stock cam, but this setup is still way better than stock brakes with stock vacuum.

I want pictures. Also, be warned, if I see this car in person I will steal your rims and brakes.

Where is the best place to get the cobra rear hubs these days? I'm wondering if I could even modify a set of stockers for much cheaper.

I ordered mine from Breeze Automotive, but I got them months ago, so they may be cheaper elsewhere at this point. And if I go to the shootout next year and walk out of the hotel to find my car sitting on cinder blocks I'm going to come after you--I'll weld your seat in the farthest forward position.

Well from my experience stock brakes dont work all that well on a 94/95 with around 10-12 inches of vacuum so I would assuem with teh larger calipers and all....13 wont be much better..Bet the cam choice has allot to do with it

Try a vacuum canister it helped Miller out a lil

Well from my experience stock brakes dont work all that well on a 94/95 with around 10-12 inches of vacuum so I would assuem with teh larger calipers and all....13 wont be much better..Bet the cam choice has allot to do with it

Try a vacuum canister it helped Miller out a lil

If stock brakes don't work all that well on a 94/95 with around 10-12 inches of vacuum, why settle for just a "lil" extra help with a vacuum canister. Why not get all your performance. Will's description of, "I'm sure I'd have better braking with a stock cam, but this setup is still way better than stock brakes with stock vacuum." obviously doesn't matter....we need to help him to see his FULL potential.

Will, when braking, traction matters. I know when I've braked and lost traction I = teh ditch. SO, when we get your ride dialed in we need to keep focus on your tires. I like the G-Forces. Maybe a drag radial up front would be better.

Go with an electric vacuum pump? Or convert over to the older SC ABS system. No vacuum required. :p

If stock brakes don't work all that well on a 94/95 with around 10-12 inches of vacuum, why settle for just a "lil" extra help with a vacuum canister. Why not get all your performance. Will's description of, "I'm sure I'd have better braking with a stock cam, but this setup is still way better than stock brakes with stock vacuum." obviously doesn't matter.....

Will's reason for switching to the better brakes is right on the money. You do it because you can. There is nothing wrong with stock brakes at about 10-12 inches of vacuum. It all depends on the application. If Will is going to rallying his car then yes, he absolutely wants better braking power. But there is nothing wrong with the stock brakes if you are doing mostly around town type driving.

They're even fine for the occasional trip to the drag strip.

I swapped out my front brakes to the Mustang GT dual piston ones because they were available and I didn't want to do the hub swap. And better braking is the result, but lack of braking power wasn't the original reason for the swap. And remember too, that there may only be 10" of vacuum at idle, but when you are decelrating and need the braking power I'm sure Will is seeing closer to 20" of vacuum. I know I am.

Ira

Panic stops will make you to push the clutch in and brakes at the same time. You will no longer make the 20invac that in that situation.
If you think the brakes on the car that came stock are good you are not driving it hard enough, They plain old suck, add an agressive cam and you have yourselves rearending someone when you least expected.
(IE David Connie Dalkes XR7 :eek:)
I added a canister to my setup when I had the bigger cam. It helped, when driving it recharged constantly, and was not a big issue after that, Still it did not have the braking power I had with my Cobra same weight and same brakes I have on my SC. I remeber not being able to stop going down the carlisle hill where the trucks were this year canister went empty and I was not able to stop the car coasting at 5mph and using the ebrake. Scary, Scary. Not fun.

Now the car has no canister and boy does it stop. Damon remember my inquiries about my brakes Vs his.

Pull plenty of vac with Rhoads lifters installed. I'm guessing we'll see all sorts of pictures, including an install how to in an upcoming issue of Ford Builder.

Pull plenty of vac with Rhoads lifters installed. I'm guessing we'll see all sorts of pictures, including an install how to in an upcoming issue of Ford Builder.

I have those lifters and a mild cam (was supposed to have some lope similar to IRAs cam). I have no lope now. And Vac to spare. :)

BTW how does your cam behave Ira? I just want to see what would have happened if I did not use the lifters on my set up.

Micah: my street tires are 255/45ZR17 Goodyear F1GSD3s. I did not cheap out on this conversion. But for those who don't know, one of my big reasons for doing this is that I autocross frequently. My race tires are the same size, Hoosier A6 slicks mounted on 98 Cobra wheels. That's braking traction. Next season I'll be switching the race tires to 275/40R17s, though...wider, shorter for better gearing and less weight, too. Pics will be coming, I apologize for the tease.

I have those lifters and a mild cam (was supposed to have some lope similar to IRAs cam). I have no lope now. And Vac to spare. :)

BTW how does your cam behave Ira? I just want to see what would have happened if I did not use the lifters on my set up.

I don't know specificaly what you want to know. Car always idled well if that's what's your asking.

Ira

Back