upper control arms

dwayne

Banned
i just had my upper control arms replaced bottom,s ok. now when driving turning lightley to left fine but turning right steering wheel wants to go back and forth,should i have it aligned.

i just had my upper control arms replaced bottom,s ok. now when driving turning lightley to left fine but turning right steering wheel wants to go back and forth,should i have it aligned.

Not enough information here to say for sure. I'd first check the rest of the front suspension/steering components for looseness/wear. Put the front end on jack stands, and see if you have any movement in the wheels, indicating suspension wear. Operate the steering unloaded (on stands) and see if it has any play or pulling under hydraulic pressure.

My guess is, depending on mileage, you have further front end wear issues that need to be addressed before you spend money on a 4-wheel thrust alignment. Which brings up the issue of the rear suspension condition. Really should check all the joints/mounts/etc. front and rear, then post up your findings.

JD

Regardless of the condition of the rest of the suspension components, it's a good idea to have an alignment done anyway after parts have been replaced.

cheers
Ed N.

Regardless of the condition of the rest of the suspension components, it's a good idea to have an alignment done anyway after parts have been replaced.

cheers
Ed N.

Ed,

Depending on the condition of the rest of the system, wouldn't it be a waste of money to do an alignment before everything is tightened up? Stated another way, wouldn't the alignment be the last thing one does after straightening out the suspension? Just interested in your thought process here; maybe some components aren't as critical as others. I would assume UCA, LCA, tie rod ends, etc. would be big contributors to a robust alignment. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

JD

thanks for the answers,everything else checks out ok and tight all bushings ok saw no cracks in them.this did not start until UCA replacment.dose not do it on firm ride.

Ed,

Depending on the condition of the rest of the system, wouldn't it be a waste of money to do an alignment before everything is tightened up? Stated another way, wouldn't the alignment be the last thing one does after straightening out the suspension? Just interested in your thought process here; maybe some components aren't as critical as others. I would assume UCA, LCA, tie rod ends, etc. would be big contributors to a robust alignment. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

JD

Reading my reply again, it was not complete, my apologies. What I was trying to get across was that even if the car does need a bunch of other repairs, that maybe cannot be afforded at the time, it still would be advisable to get an alignment IMO. The upper arms shouldn't affect it too much, but an alignment is still generally cheaper than a new pair of tires, if it's left too long.

You are correct though, it's certainly best if any and all worn or damaged components are replaced, and a proper 4-wheel alignment done afterward.

cheers
Ed N.

Reading my reply again, it was not complete, my apologies. What I was trying to get across was that even if the car does need a bunch of other repairs, that maybe cannot be afforded at the time, it still would be advisable to get an alignment IMO. The upper arms shouldn't affect it too much, but an alignment is still generally cheaper than a new pair of tires, if it's left too long.

You are correct though, it's certainly best if any and all worn or damaged components are replaced, and a proper 4-wheel alignment done afterward.

cheers
Ed N.

Thanks, Ed. I agree now that I understand your perspective. - JD

Back