In the middle of HG's should I pull the motor and put alum flywheel on?

Peterdroy66

I have one head off as of tonight.
In no rush, just would like this back together before it gets too cold - it will be stored now anyways.
Thinking - seams like it would not be too much more trouble to pull the full motor out now, assemble the long block in a heated shop, and then re-install it with my aluminum flywheel instead of later on pulling the transmission to do this.
hmmmm any suggestions/comments?
It would also be easy to put a new waterpump on and maybe a balancer.
Car has 65k on it.

Pete

Probably be easier to just pull then engine since your down to that point. I would agree. That way you don't have to go back later and drop the gas tank, exhaust, and driveshaft just to stick a flywheel on. Your like another hour away from having the engine out anyways.

you wouldn't have to drop the fuel tank if you were to replace the flywheel and clutch later on. it's pretty easy to do it by just dropping the rear axle and sliding the driveshaft back. but if i were you, i'd probably just do everything now anway especially if you have the time.

Dropping the fuel tank isn't that difficult. It seems like it might be, because it's big, but it really isn't if you have someone to help.

If you have the flywheel, and you have some time, go for it. I dunno if I'd do it if you have to buy the flywheel still unless that is part of your plan to spend some time at a track.

Pete,
Do it you will love the Alum flywheel I just add one on my car in sept I find it's like an all new car to drive. easy to get moving off the line and the best part is how easy the shifts are now un like it was with the steel flywheel.
If there was no snow out I would take you for a spin so you can see how it is.

Back