Help!! Quick question

Onewhitesc

OK, not to get into the story and make it long and drawn out, but could I drive the bird about 20 miles with no blower belt, or is it gonna have to be towed? Thanks for the help. I know it will run without it, but now sure about driving it.

OK, not to get into the story and make it long and drawn out, but could I drive the bird about 20 miles with no blower belt, or is it gonna have to be towed? Thanks for the help. I know it will run without it, but now sure about driving it.

yes you can. I blew my blower belt and ran mine. I was just easy on it, I still got mine up to 70mph on the highway to cruise back home with no problems. I tied my bypass valve open and took it home. At least 15 mile trip. It wont go into boost anyways, so I don't think you have to tie your bypass valve open but mine seemed to idle better when tied open. I ended up finding my broken belt wrapped very very tightly around my jackshaft pulley so this may have been part of my idle problem too.

Last edited:
when i tried this for ~~~~~ and giggles, i couldnt put the pedal past 1/4 the way down. i even unplugged the octane plug.

wonder what wrong with mine ?

it was a hell of alot quieter tho !

Last edited:
I got her home just fine. Took it easy and cruised about 65 down the interstate. Here are a few picts of the snout.

Attachments

• snout 001.jpg
    snout 001.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 98
  • snout 002.jpg
    snout 002.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 91
  • snout 003.jpg
    snout 003.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 129
Looks like your front snout bearing burned up, whats the oil level? Gonna be time for a snout rebuild.

I got her home just fine. Took it easy and cruised about 65 down the interstate. Here are a few picts of the snout.

OOOOOooooo. That sure looks like a bearing failure. You should be able to find someone willing to part with a good used snout assembly on here. I'd be afraid to reuse that snout depending on how hot it got and how much it warped. Wouldn't hurt to install a new coupler and snout seal while you're at it. At least it's a pretty easy fix.

Good Luck,

JD

Looks like your front snout bearing burned up, whats the oil level? Gonna be time for a snout rebuild.

Yeah, here about a month ago the thing developed a slight whine. I knew it was on borrowed time, I had no idea the clock was ticking so fast. The oil was the first thing i checked when the whine started. It was perfect. Thats why I figured I had at least a few months. so I guess a snout rebuild is the next step. the only thing is............. my tool stash is kinda weak. I have no problem getting dirty, ( I do it every day), just actually finding the time, and talking someone with tools, usually my father, to come help. anywho, I'll figure something out.

You need to bring her on down to my shop.....

I can definitly hook you up with a fantastic SC mechanic.....

Oh and I have a good selection of parts here, as well....:cool:

You need to bring her on down to my shop.....

I can definitly hook you up with a fantastic SC mechanic.....

Oh and I have a good selection of parts here, as well....:cool:

Where in Charlotte are you? I've got a local guy here in Kannapolis I'm trying to get to help me out. But If thats a no go, I may take you up on the offer.

I would recommend having a machine shop rebuild the blower snout. Or send it in to one of the SC vendors that specializes in it (SpinningWheels-SC, Magnum Powers, Embree Specialty Machine).

The thing is, it's not really that hard technically speaking to rebuild the snout, but the bearings are hard to remove and replace without a press. I did almost all of it myself, but I had to have the final assembly done by a machine shop because I didn't have any way to press from both sides like I needed to. I have a sweet caged gear puller, but no press.

Back