Engine hardware

V8Supercoupe

What similarites does a 5.0 engine hardware kit have to our motors?

Im sort of mid~~~~ with my motor and Im just looking at what I need to get her together. Rather than using some old grimy harware, I would like to use a kit thats not only new, but perhaps polished or chromed.

Just curious. I know there is a lot of harware that cannot be cross-referenced, but I am just wondering HOW much....

You may run into issues as I believe that the earlier SCs used a lot of SAE thread bolts with metric heads, and the later SCs used real metric fasteners. Water pump and intake manifold bolts, for example. I don't know if the 5.0 engines ever switched over to true metric or not.

Virtually nothing transfers over. All SC hardware is metric with the exception of the alternator bolts, waterpump pulley, JS pulley, and clutch pressure plate bolts. I'm not sure if the WP pulley bolts are the same thread as the 5.0 but I doubt it.

Super Coupe Hardware

hi,

Why not try ARP??

They make polished or stainless fasteners for just about anything.

I mean if they can help guys building a street rod, they should be able to find stuff for a Super coupe!
Either use 'The google' or check a car magazine for them or another fastener company.

Good luck!!

Lance

You can get standard fasteners from ARP, or even MCMaster-Carr. The main issue is tracking down all the proper bolts with studs, or bolts with other bolts attached and such.

Not to mention, buying them one at a time will be pricey.

Probably cheaper to take your stock bolts to a shop that can hot tank them, then steam clean them, and then soak them in WD-40 and dry them off.

Then you can go through them identifying any that should really be replaced, and those that are just fine.

I had a long winter, so I just took all the baggies of bolts from my disassembly and used a wire brush and parts cleaner fluid and cleaned them, one at a time while watching a movie or two.

The main issue is tracking down all the proper bolts with studs, or bolts with other bolts attached and such.

Not to mention, buying them one at a time will be pricey.

.......and there you go. Thats why I was asking.

Thanks.

Back