Snout Seal Installed Backwards

Thomas A

I was wondering if this is going to cause a problem. I replaced the snout seal yesterday, and for whatever reason, it did not want to go on like you would normally install it. So I flipped it over and was able to install it without any issues. It was still a nice tight fit, but I don't know if it is going to cause problems down the road. Can't say I have ever heard of anyone doing this before.

I installed mine reverse to how this one is installed:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f192/Picturesfrom2006/PICT1893.jpg

Thomas

Thomas,

It matters....get another seal, because I'm betting it leaks when the gear case becomes pressurised.

David

I should of known better. Guess I had a lapse of judgment for a moment. Here is what mine looks like.

Snout_Seal.JPG

Thomas

You should also get a real retaining ring like the one shown in the other picture (got mine from MP). I've had the flimsy wire pop out and allow the seal to push forward into the pulley a couple times back when I had an ESM blower and an MPII.

David

I will have to get a better snap ring. Yeah, I thought this one seemed a little flimsy.

I know it needs to be fixed, but what are your thoughts on driving it no more than 1000 miles like this? I really don't plan on keeping this particular blower on the car for much more than that. I just hate to ruin a $25 seal and replace it with another one if it is only going to be on the car for a short while?

Thomas

I will have to get a better snap ring. Yeah, I thought this one seemed a little flimsy.

I know it needs to be fixed, but what are your thoughts on driving it no more than 1000 miles like this? I really don't plan on keeping this particular blower on the car for much more than that. I just hate to ruin a $25 seal and replace it with another one if it is only going to be on the car for a short while?

Thomas
Thomas, you should be able to get it for a lot less than that.

I paid $4.33 for the 7967 and they quoted me ~$8 for the 7968. I ordered the 7968 and I got a 7967. I was leaking real bad so I used it anyhow. No problems at all.

I just stopped by a local bearing and seal place and ordered one.

Back