what to use as supercharger oil

92sclikenew

i was reading thru the forums and seen that gm stuff is cheap but it dosnt stay clean..

the ford stuff is like 20$ a bottle and last forever lol kindof..

and then some airplain turbin stuff.. that i would have to order.. well i need it soon as possiable

i also heard of useing 0-w0 or somthing like that oil
were can i get that

im putting my stock blower on for now.. and it needs new fluid.. what is the best thing to pic up

get the gm stuff its under $8 a bottle, and

change it every 30k. its fine i used it in 3 of my superchargers, but i cant say the same for engine oil.

Bp 2380

I've been using BP 2380 turbo oil without any problems. About 12 bucks a quart.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

I've used the BP2380 for years without problems...used the GM fluid without problems, and now using Mobil 1 synthetic 15/50 (I think) in my AR.

David

Royal purple 5w20 in Red's SC.. it was bone dry :eek: and anything was better than nothing... After I replace the snout seal, I'll try the turbo oil.

Now.. some of my opinion on the subject.. The original fluid was intended to last for the life of the car and the SC to be essentially maintenance free. However, since most of us own cars well past their design life, changing the SC fluid is another part of routine maintenance and IMO, as long as you check/change it on a regular basis, it doesn't matter what you use.. its yours to deal with.. :cool:

since most of us own cars well past their design life, changing the SC fluid is another part of routine maintenance and IMO, as long as you check/change it on a regular basis, it doesn't matter what you use.. its yours to deal with.. :cool:

this is why i came here to see what would last the longest for the price and that no one had probs.. since i dont want to be pulley the car apart again because i had used the wrong oil..

The main purpose of the stock supercharger oil, and the BP turbine oil is the lack of expansion with heat. Our blower gear casing isn't vented, thus as the fluid gets hotter, it doesn't really have anywhere to expand to.

I believe most of the twin screw blowers I've seen have an expansion tank for their gear oil.

The main purpose of the stock supercharger oil, and the BP turbine oil is the lack of expansion with heat. Our blower gear casing isn't vented, thus as the fluid gets hotter, it doesn't really have anywhere to expand to.

I believe most of the twin screw blowers I've seen have an expansion tank for their gear oil.

well i picked up 0-w30 full synthetic motor oil been on there for about 30 miles:D so far so good:p

this is why i came here to see what would last the longest for the price and that no one had probs.. since i dont want to be pulley the car apart again because i had used the wrong oil..

The fluid is pretty easy to change....remove the fill plug, insert pump sprayer from windex or something similar and pump into a small container (only about 6 ounces)....then add the new fluid to the bottom of the threads on the fill hole...and install the plug.

David

The fluid is pretty easy to change....remove the fill plug, insert pump sprayer from windex or something similar and pump into a small container (only about 6 ounces)....then add the new fluid to the bottom of the threads on the fill hole...and install the plug.

David

what i ment by using the wrong oil and the car coming apart again is that somthing major might break.;):p

Thats good to know. In my rush to save my blower from self destructing, I used the 5w20 as a temporary fix.. that would explain the seepage and the occasional whistling.

I'm not recommending the 5w20, but in my case.. that blower was bone dry.. any sort of lubricant is better than air.

Thats good to know. In my rush to save my blower from self destructing, I used the 5w20 as a temporary fix.. that would explain the seepage and the occasional whistling.

I'm not recommending the 5w20, but in my case.. that blower was bone dry.. any sort of lubricant is better than air.

oh for sure if mine was bone dry and i couldnt park the car till it was fixed i would for sure use any kind of oil.. the thinest the better but like you said somthing is better then nothing at all...

I use the BP 2380 turbine oil in both my SC and GTP, long term results are great!

When I got my GTP, it had 92k miles on the original supercharger oil. After sucking it out and replacing with BP 2380 the blower was MUCH quieter. Amazing what a fluid change will do. I have about 110k miles now and it is still nice and quiet.

Jeramie

Back