wiring issues after 5.0 swap

SotexSC

I'm nearing the end of a 5.0 swap in my SC. But I'm having some issues with the wiring. I have searched under 5.0 swap, v8 swap, fuel pump wiring, 5.0 swap wiring, etc..etc. I've pretty much narrowed it down to "the positive lead on the pump is pink/black" and it runs through the dash (92 SC) I freak out when I have to deal with wiring, I basically have no idea what or where to splice the fuel pump to, does it go to the IRCM from the donor car or maybe the EEC? The haynes manual has wiring diagrams near the back of the manual but they appear to be misleading they show that the 91-93 SC and non SC have the same wiring as far as the fuel pump. I know I can just get the Helms wiring schematics but I would much rather get information from those who have completed this type of project before, and who have first hand expierence with all the little issues that need to be addressed. I would also like to retain most if not all of the SC electronics as far as climate control, cruise, ARC etc. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated, BTW the donor car is a 93 LX.

12/12/07

Ok I tried tracing the positive lead through the dash not sure wether its on the driver side or passenger side, I'm guessing that it is on the driver side running through the firewall to fuse/relay box next to the battery, but were does it go from there? does it run across to the IRCM? I'm thinking that the donor 1993LX runs over near the EEC and connects through a wiring harness there and then to the IRCM on pass side; rather then through the dash like the SC. (damn this is confusing yet seems so simple) Also in the fuse/relay box near the battery there is a post that is missing a relay its labeled as EEC relay "all engines except SC" do I need to swap the relay from the donor to this post on the SC?

Thanks
JP

thanks
JP

Last edited:
You will have to install the relay into the SC fuse box and then run the power lead over to the plug next to the IRCM that connects the underhood harness to the engine harness. If you look at the plug you'll see where there is a missing wire compared to the 5.0 car.

Hi Dave,
Ok I ran a power lead to the connection on the harness (one with missing wire(red) and back to the fuse box to the EEC relay, now I have discovered that the EEC relay outlet isn't wired at all for any type of connections.....I have already started to splice some wires in but I'm sure.....actually definite that I have no clue as to what I am doing. I believe there are 3 other connections other than the power lead. Leading to the relay.

1. thicker solid yellow wire
2. smaller solid black with green stripe
3. smaller red with green stripe

I'm pretty sure all of these need to be connected somewhere in order for the relay/eec/fuel pump to work. But I haven't the slightest clue as to where these wire's need to be spliced or connected. Once again any and all information would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
JP

Hi Dave,

1. thicker solid yellow wire
2. smaller solid black with green stripe
3. smaller red with green stripe

Yellow is constant battery power. Connect to one of the fused yellow leads on the bottom side of the fuse box.

Black is chassis ground.

Red should be connected to another red wire under the bottom side of the fuse box. Make sure it is on the fused side of the power strip.

Attachments

• 50swap 028a.jpg
    50swap 028a.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 222
Thanks alot Dave, this is the type of info I was looking for you put it in lame-man terms for me to understand and to top it off you added PICS! freak'n sweet.

thankyou
JP

P.S. I hope it starts

Well it started, had some small issues with exhaust leak, and some loose rad and heater hoses. I noticed that the battery won't hold a charge or maybe it's not even getting charged by the alt but after I recharge the battery myself and fire the car up it runs and idles until I shut it off then when I try to restart the battery is dead or near dead, I think its the alt not to sure I need to get a voltmeter. Other than that the 5.0 sounds pretty good, I had full magnaflows on it before, but removed the rear two and installed on my truck, the single resonator thats on the car sounds good with the 3 inch pipe, I'm probably just going to run a dump for now. I'll post pics when all the little stuff is finished and I give her a bath. Once again thanks alot for all the info and help

JP

Back