Pinging Issue...

JOE91SC

Well, since my econo-box died a while ago. I've been driving my SC a lot more. and I notice its been pinging quite badly when you jump on the gas. I have been using Chevron 92 octane fuel. Is that normal for using 92? or should I really be using 94?

Thanks in advance.

I use 93 from BP, Ive done a few hard runs with the stock boost gauge pegged with no pinging, I cant see one point making a difference

91 or 92 octane should be fine. Make sure you find the problem fast, headgaskets arent big fans of pinging.

I'm running 91 in my car, and I had a bit of pinging after the larger MAF etc went in, but I adjusted the upper MAF curve transfer function to richen things up a bit, and she's been fine since.

Have you made any changes to the car?

If it is pinging don't take it under a heavy load until you fix it. Pinging is like severe detonation in the cylinders. A restriction in airflow can cause this, like a very dirty air filter or clogged catalytic converter(s). Definitely try putting some top notch gas in their and see if that fixes it. There are ways to check for high pressure in the exhaust by screwing a gauge into the oxgyen sensor port but I have never done this. You could compare pressure on each side to see a difference. I'm sure someone on here has exerience on this and may be able to distinguish good pressure from high pressure.

Good luck with it, let us know what you find.

Last edited:
how old is the gas thats in there ?

The gas is fresh, about a week old the very most.

mywhite89 said:
A restriction in airflow can cause this, like a very dirty air filter

I did notice the filter was a bit dirty last time i checked, Its a K&N panel type. i will try to clean it and see. I thought if the fiter is dirty, it would run rich then lean.

cbt said:
how about some plugs and wires ?

They are still in pretty good condition last time i checked.

While your cleaning the filter, clean the MAF as well. The again a couple weeks later to remove any oil that may have accumulated from the filter.

I could see it running lean when its cold, But why would it run lean if the air filter is dirty? :confused:

Generally K&N allow more airflow through and more air which can lead to running leaner..Even if dirty it may flow more.

My explanation although not proven by hard data is that when cold your car tends to run a little rich by program (so why detonate you may ask). Well the sc also tends to pull timing if it senses engine knock. Perhaps when cold you are on that very verge of detonation and while warm your engine is tending to pull timing making detonation not a problem. Do you notice a decrease in performance also when warm? Try running a better gas...change of fuel filter..check a plug...

Last edited:
I could see it running lean when its cold, But why would it run lean if the air filter is dirty? :confused:

Its possible... if the dirty filter is causing an erratic airflow through the MAF for instance, it flows more along the bottom of the MAF than up where the sensor is, then there is more air going in than the computer knows about.

Back