PDA

View Full Version : Longtube headers and stainless exhaust pics

David Neibert
12-12-2007, 02:02 AM
The exhaust system upgrades are done on the 91. I think it turned out pretty good. Here are some pictures the shop doing the work sent me today.

David

David Neibert
12-12-2007, 02:06 AM
More pictures. Not picking the car up until the weather clears up Thursday evening....let you know how it sounds then.

David

CMac89
12-12-2007, 02:13 AM
Lookin good, Dave. You just love those V-Band clamps, huh?

Cost you a pretty penny, I bet. 3" dual to 3.5" mid-section?

Ira R.
12-12-2007, 02:31 AM
Very nice indeed. Curious to see how it sounds.

Ira

David Neibert
12-12-2007, 02:34 AM
Lookin good, Dave. You just love those V-Band clamps, huh?

Cost you a pretty penny, I bet. 3" dual to 3.5" mid-section?

Yes I do love the v-bands... yes dual 3" with 3.5" mid section. Also swapped to later model tank and installed an aluminum DS while it was apart.

David

Jim Demmitt Jr
12-12-2007, 02:49 AM
Very Nice

That is some beautiful work bet its got a nice deep tone SS bet that hit the pocket book a bit hard :-) very nice Dave

CurtisPaulfrey
12-12-2007, 04:13 AM
David that looks very nice, what are your plans for the old exhaust?

Payton
12-12-2007, 06:59 AM

How does it sound, Dave? I am thinking about doing my exhaust this winter as well, concerned with noise.

racecougar
12-12-2007, 08:17 AM
Ah, much better. :D

Looks good.

-Rod

XxSlowpokexX
12-12-2007, 08:43 AM
very nice:)

David Neibert
12-12-2007, 09:56 AM

Sold the headers and Rod (racecougar) is taking the old exhaust. Contact him if your interested in it.

David

David Neibert
12-12-2007, 09:57 AM
How does it sound, Dave? I am thinking about doing my exhaust this winter as well, concerned with noise.

Don't know how it sounds....picking up tomorrow.

David

rzibilske77
12-12-2007, 10:14 AM
that is one sweet looking setup........man thats some massive pipe:eek:

Kurt K
12-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Looks good David. I might just have to come out sometime soon and take a listen.

Maybe it will stop raining long enough for you to do some WOT testing :)

doug93sc
12-12-2007, 11:39 AM
That is a very well done job there! I can't wait to hear it at the May meet in Dayton....you are going to bring it right David?

CMac89
12-12-2007, 11:41 AM
That setup will allow you to run some more timing or more boost at the same timing.

I would put it on the dyno and see what happens throughout "X" amount of timing versus boost.

David Neibert
12-12-2007, 12:37 PM
That setup will allow you to run some more timing or more boost at the same timing.

I would put it on the dyno and see what happens throughout "X" amount of timing versus boost.

Casey,

I'm planning to make a couple test pulls before Xmas on the dyno I usually go to, without any changes to the boost or the tune (will monitor boost to see if it dropped any). Next time Dave Dalke is in town we will tweak the tune and test the smaller blower pulley (provides 2.5-3.0 more pounds of boost).

David

seawalkersee
12-12-2007, 02:19 PM
I got some really nice ideas off of looking at your exhaust. It will be for my LX but still... I wonder how large of a pipe I can run twins with under the car for the SC...

Chris

Toms-SC
12-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Thank you for posting the pictures David. What are you doing for rear-muffs? Magnaflow #?

David Neibert
12-12-2007, 03:09 PM
I got some really nice ideas off of looking at your exhaust. It will be for my LX but still... I wonder how large of a pipe I can run twins with under the car for the SC...

Chris

Chris,

The guy doing mine thought it would be possible to fit a pair of 3" pipes, but it would be very tight and might require a little rework to the heat sheild.

David

92bird
12-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Nice David!!

David Neibert
12-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Thank you for posting the pictures David. What are you doing for rear-muffs? Magnaflow #?

Yes they are 3" polished stainless Magnaflow mufflers part#14319. The tips and v-bands were added.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29714&d=1197439322

David

mywhite89
12-12-2007, 04:33 PM
It would be pretty neat if you gained 10-20rwhp just off that upgrade. I'm interested to see. I wouldn't think it would help too much over your previous setup but it is all stainless so you never know.:) lol

Chris

CMac89
12-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Most benefits that you would get from upgrading exhaust you will see from available tuning features such as more timing. Just like Methanol kits, you don't get the power you gain from the Methanol alone, but mostly from added timing.

The more efficient a motor is, from an induction standpoint, the less timing it is able to run. However, the more timing that you will be able to run (from certain modifications), the more power a motor will make. This is where David's car will receive benefits aside from power in reduction of backpressure alone.

David Neibert
12-12-2007, 05:57 PM
It would be pretty neat if you gained 10-20rwhp just off that upgrade. I'm interested to see. I wouldn't think it would help too much over your previous setup but it is all stainless so you never know.:) lol

Chris

Chris,

Yeah that would be nice to gain 20 rwhp, but I have low expectations so I won't be dissapointed unless it looses power. As Casey already mentioned, the real power increases will come from the ability to run more boost at current timing levels or increased timing at current boost level. The guy doing the install took it for a test drive today to make sure it didn't rattle, and got it sideways at half throttle, so I don't think part throttle performance has suffered any :D

David

PS: Doug, Yes I'll likely bring this car to the Dayton spring meet and bring the turbo car to the Shootout this year.

Mike8675309
12-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Are those tips a part you can order, or were they made by your shop? I'd like to use an outlet like that and could get it retrofit on the 90. The standard turn down is too irritating.

David Neibert
12-13-2007, 12:43 AM
Are those tips a part you can order, or were they made by your shop? I'd like to use an outlet like that and could get it retrofit on the 90. The standard turn down is too irritating.

Mike,

They were made by the guy doing the work. He used some 3.5" stainless bends cut to fit and welded them onto the outlet side of the muffler and then polished them.

David

392Bird
12-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Very Nice. Make some sound files of it. Heck, come down here and record mine also. My old camera does not even have sound. :(

Seuss
12-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Are your bumper inserts the chrome stickers, or the polished stainless? They look nice :)

David Neibert
12-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Are your bumper inserts the chrome stickers, or the polished stainless? They look nice :)

Thanks, they are polished stainless from SS Inserts. They look even better on my black car.

David

David Neibert
12-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Picked the car up this evening...has a small leak at the header flange to head connection, but all the bolts are tight. Slight interference with plastic sleeve on the steering shaft may be the cause, but it's melting the sleeve and will likely clearance itself. Until it gets a little sooty, it's going to be hard to tell exactly where it is leaking. Headers are a very tight fit on the drivers side and required relocation of my trans temp sender to the rear of the pan, and removal of my torque strap.

When first started the headers were glowing a little (visible only in the dark) but I'm pretty sure that's because the car was sitting outside and starts up pig rich when it cold. Rich enough to smoke, miss and stumble until reving it a few times. I keep forgetting to tell Dave about that so he can adjust the tune. I also need to turn off the manual overrides for both radiator fans, because even after driving 30 plus miles I couldn't get the temp gauge to move off the C on the far left of the gauge. Threw a CEL a couple times on the drive home, which I'm certian are because of running too rich because the motor is too cold. After getting home, I checked the headers and they we no longer glowing or putting off more heat than normal.

Sounds a little louder at idle and part throttle, no drone at cruising rpms or when going up hills at moderate speeds just a little more noise from the tail pipes, and it's much louder at WOT. I can actually hear the exhaust more than the blower at full throttle. Has a very agressive rip to the exhaust note and actually sounds pretty good (from inside the car) for a v6. All in all I'm very pleased with how well it turned out.

Plan to dyno it within the next week or so and Rod will try to be there to video it, so you guys can hear what it sounds like.

David

Jim Demmitt Jr
12-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Nice SS Exaust

Dave how much more does it weigh over your old system? what does a system like that run in price? Looks well built and very nice

Ryan A Harris
12-13-2007, 11:48 PM
That is a very nice set up. What was your old exaust? I hope you get all the bugs worked out in time for your dyno pulls. I'm very interested in the sound bite of those pulls.:D

David Neibert
12-14-2007, 12:12 AM
Nice SS Exaust

Dave how much more does it weigh over your old system? what does a system like that run in price? Looks well built and very nice

Jim,

I think it weighs about the same as the old system.

Assuming you already had the headers and late style gas tank installed...Mufflers & Resonator were about $300, stainless pipes, bends and v-bands were about $700, and it took about 22 hours of labor @ $65 ea. to fabricate and weld everything.

David

David Neibert
12-14-2007, 12:25 AM
That is a very nice set up. What was your old exaust? I hope you get all the bugs worked out in time for your dyno pulls. I'm very interested in the sound bite of those pulls.:D

Ryan,

Old exhaust was kooks mid length headers, 2.5" downpipes no cats, Magnaflow resonator w/dual 2.5" inlet/single 3" outlet, then a 3" center pipe going around the early style fuel tank and then Y to dual 2.5" pipes and Dynomax mufflers. Bought it from SCP back when Bill Hull owned it.

The current bugs won't have any impact on dynoing or driving the car, and probably won't be corrected until spring. It's leaking far less than my old exhaust and has been running rich in the winter for more than a year, so it's not a big deal.

David

THE BIRDMAN
12-14-2007, 12:44 AM
Can't wait to here it ! If it sounds as good as it looks it should aound bad a**.

Jay

thunderkid84
12-14-2007, 03:27 AM
Jim,

I think it weighs about the same as the old system.

Assuming you already had the headers and late style gas tank installed...Mufflers & Resonator were about $300, stainless pipes, bends and v-bands were about $700, and it took about 22 hours of labor @ $65 ea. to fabricate and weld everything.

David

thats $2500 !!!!! hope its worth it dave. from the looks of it though it should last forever. it is the nicest exhaust i've ever seen :)

XR7 Dave
12-14-2007, 08:53 AM
If your headers were glowing then it was lean, not rich. Glad it sounds nice, that's always one thing you get a little nervous about with exhaust systems on these cars when you try something out of the ordinary.

I don't expect it will pick up a lot of power on gas but it should really be a lot happier on the spray. Your old exhaust system looks better than I imagined it would being it had the mandrel bent mid section.

David Neibert
12-14-2007, 09:58 AM
If your headers were glowing then it was lean, not rich. Glad it sounds nice, that's always one thing you get a little nervous about with exhaust systems on these cars when you try something out of the ordinary.

I don't expect it will pick up a lot of power on gas but it should really be a lot happier on the spray. Your old exhaust system looks better than I imagined it would being it had the mandrel bent mid section.

Dave,

The old exhaust looked to be the most restrictive at the rear of the car where the two 2.5" crush bent pipes go to the mufflers and on the exhaust tips. To get the proper angle a wedge was cut out of the pipe then folded over and welded. I couldn't really see it because of the chrome tips that were slid over that area and tack welded. They looked to be choked down to about the area of a 2" pipe.

David

Micahdogg
12-14-2007, 11:15 AM
That is very nice looking David. Pretty soon your car will be just about perfect! Far cry from the days when you were struggling to get 13's eh?

David Neibert
12-14-2007, 06:26 PM
That is very nice looking David. Pretty soon your car will be just about perfect! Far cry from the days when you were struggling to get 13's eh?

Thanks Micah.....next thing on the list is redoing the interior. I was planning to get that done over the winter, but already spent my allowance on this stuff.

David

PS: It will never be perfect...I'm just striving for better looking and a little quicker than the year before.

racecougar
12-14-2007, 07:44 PM
I'll vouch for David, it sounded very nice and very aggressive last night. I really like the look of the huge 3 1/2" tailpipes just peeking out from under the bumper cover.

There is no way that thing was running lean. The first couple inches of the primaries was all that was glowing, and you could only see it in the dark. It really just looks like the A/F is so rich on a cold startup in cold weather that it's burning fuel in the exhaust ports/primaries.

I'm going to guess that it will pick up 15 rwhp off the juice.

-Rod

David Neibert
12-15-2007, 01:02 AM
Rod,

Thanks for giving me a ride over there to pick it up and for helping to fish that pesky ABS wire back into place. Looks like both our cars will be staying in the garage for a while with the latest weather forecast :(.

David

racecougar
12-15-2007, 01:10 AM
You know I had to go check it out. :D Not a problem.

No kidding about keeping the cars in the garage. I didn't get to take mine out tonight, though I did at least fire it up for a bit in the shop. It's still loud. :D

-Rod

Jacob_Royer
12-15-2007, 01:10 AM
Its gotta sound better than my gutted cats and deleted mufflers :) post up a clip when you get a chance... Looks sweeeeet

David Neibert
12-15-2007, 01:19 AM
Its gotta sound better than my gutted cats and deleted mufflers :) post up a clip when you get a chance... Looks sweeeeet

Jacob,

I watched the clip...yeah it sounds a lot better than that.

http://vid6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/racecougar/The Stang/TBU Meet 6-11-11/th_DavidDyno6-11-11.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/racecougar/The Stang/TBU Meet 6-11-11/?action=view&current=DavidDyno6-11-11.mp4)

David

Jacob_Royer
12-15-2007, 01:46 AM
yep mine sounds like azz.... about to fix it though..... Catless downtubes 2 glass packs a Y into a single in dual out flowmaster duals out the back possibly resonated tips...

KwikGSeX
12-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Dave the system came out very nice.. When are you planning on going back to the track with it?

David Neibert
12-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Dave the system came out very nice.. When are you planning on going back to the track with it?

Sometime this spring when I get some new tires for it. If I don't use the nitrous I can probably get back in over at Gateway to make a couple passes. I would like to be able to run 11.50 or better off the bottle. With me driving, it usually runs 11.7 @ 118 and has run a best of 11.50 @ 120 with Chris Wise driving. So it doesn't need much to run 11.5s consistently. The exhaust and bigger slicks may be enough...if not I can increase the boost a couple pounds.
Not really interested in running it with the nitrous more than once or twice a year because I don't want to break the motor, now that the car has been repainted.

David

PS: At this point I'm more interested in seeing what the turbo car can do at full tilt on a sticky track with some good tires.

Regul8r
09-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Dave you posted in the HEADER's thread...

You want unbearable...take a ride in my SC. Within 5 miles you'll be stabbing your ears with a screw driver. It's fine at idle, it's pretty good at moderate acceleration, it's nice on deceleration, it's very aggressive at WOT (in a good way)....but when cruising along at 2000 rpms with a light load, the drone is horrible, very loud and very unpleasant. Just to get some relief I step on and off throttle every 10 or 15 seconds.

I'm going to experiment with the exhaust tips, because that's about the only thing I can change without scrapping the entire exhaust and starting over.

David

PS: Here are some pictures of my exhaust system.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...inless+exhaust

So is that a 2 year update?
Why does it sound so bad?
What is the resonator?
What do you think is causing the drone?
what would you change to get rid of the drone?

XxSlowpokexX
09-24-2009, 09:46 PM
link no goooddd

CMac89
09-24-2009, 09:54 PM
This thread is almost two years old? I'm gettin old, man!

neverfastenough
09-24-2009, 09:59 PM
This thread is almost two years old? I'm gettin old, man!

Haha, same here. I turn 20 next week, ugh my joints already hurt.

Regul8r
09-24-2009, 10:34 PM
link no goooddd

Damon, the link is no good because YOU ARE ON IT! lol
That was the post he put on the OTHER thread which brought me to this thread.

Kurt K
09-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Damon, the link is no good because YOU ARE ON IT! lol
That was the post he put on the OTHER thread which brought me to this thread.Umm, actually the link is no good because you copied the text and not the link itself. It pains me to say that Damon was right :p:p

David Neibert
09-24-2009, 11:51 PM
So is that a 2 year update?

Yes...that's the update. Car hasn't been running much for the past year because of a blown motor. It's back on the road now with an all new bigger motor and more agressive cam and it's probably a little louder than the old motor.

Why does it sound so bad?

I don't know why it drones so bad, the single center pipe and resonator were used specifically to prevent drone.

What is the resonator?

3.5" stainless Magnaflow non baffled muffler

What do you think is causing the drone?

I don't know.

what would you change to get rid of the drone?

It's been said by several people around here, that the direction of the exhaust tips has a lot to do with the drone, so I'll be clamping on something to redirect the exhaust flow upward closer to horizontal to keep from bouncing the sound off the road. If that works I'll try to figure out a way to make it look nicer or replace the two rear mufflers with Borlas.

If that doesn't work, I'll just turn the radio up.

David

Regul8r
09-25-2009, 02:46 AM
Umm, actually the link is no good because you copied the text and not the link itself. It pains me to say that Damon was right :p:p

I apologize if admitting Damon is right hurts, I haven't learned that yet.
I will now pay more attention to Damon's posts! :D

Anyway... Damon, you are here where that link is supposed to take you.
Sorry for the confusion. furthermore why is it that Kurt doesn't like to admit you are right?

ps. sarcasm is like a good exhaust system... flows freely!